Monday, June 26, 2006

It List: Monday 6/26/06




Band of Horses/ Mt. Egypt/ The Can't See (Hailey's $10): Even though I've poked fun at them before, I don't really think Band of Horses suck. In fact, I think they are pretty damn good at what they do, which is combining The Shins and My Morning Jacket. But thats not even fair, is it? I mean, they do have some qualities that neither of those bands have, and they are a pleasant listen, and perhaps a bit more challenging and dark than the Shins. And they're actually pretty good songwriters too, but I just don't feel like I can buy into all the hype surrounding these guys yet, even if there are a couple of songs on Everything All the Time that I like quite a bit, especially "The Funeral." I wonder how they'll be live... probably a good time. Mt. Egypt sounds like a slightly less dense, um, Band of Horses, and The Can't See, well, I can't hear the can't see now, so see you later.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"which is combining The Shins and My Morning Jacket"

When certain print music writers describe a band in this style, people flip out. Let's see how it works out for you. Me? I don't give a fuck.

4:14 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

well, it was kind of meant to be a half hearted jab, hence the simplicity.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, I'm not one to overthink a music review or preview or what have you. I like Sam's personable style and I like yours as well. What the WSJR Comment Cult never talks about is, well, sure Sam rights for a more mainstream paper, and a dude has to have a job, you know? It's a job. And he still digs a little deeper than he has to. And above all, he has started a fight with Cock Rock Dallas at every turn, you know? Now, some of your more "so underground that they pop their heads out in China" readers will say that's an easy fight. But it's not. If the Feds are drawing more than every local band you mention, and he calls out the Feds as he does, and Clearview and all that, I have to say that it's the right spirit.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just go see the show.. it sold out last night in Austin.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Glen were alive, he'd say Band of Horses stole the show from Rogue Wave when they opened a couple months ago.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Rj said...

There seems to be a lot of bands with that sound that are getting a huge amount of hype. I worry a bit that it will attract the copycat bands that always seem to attach themselves to a decent underground movement, and then try to drag it above ground. I'd hate to see some good indie bands get the "the bands" treatment, or as I like to call them "TuWave". (also see "grunge")

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hear janes addiction too

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they did steal the show. but rogue wave is much more diverse. they don't need reverb-drenched vocals to be unique and original. at least rogue wave does hard drugs with you after hours.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home