Wednesday, June 21, 2006

It List: Wednesday 6/21/06









1. Man Man/ Lovely Feathers (The Cavern- $8): We're idiots. We pretty much had a phone interview with Man Man set up for yesterday afternoon, but Mavs games and blog designs and work and life and crap got in the way of what we were hoping would be a completely chaotic phone interview with a really great band. Yes, we're big Man Man fans, and their show at the Cavern tonight should be a real treat, considering the size of the venue and the potential for destruction that the band seems to possess. If you've read anything about them, you've heard all the proper comparisons: namely, to Tom Waits and Captain Beefheart. And while these comparisons are valid, the band also seems to bring their own elements of theatrical, post-punk silliness to the table that truly add to the whole thing. Their songs are sort of eastern folk influenced, a bit trashy ragtime, highly percussive, and addictive. Montreal's The Lovely Feathers also kick much ass, in case you didn't know, even if they do pretty much sound like a Montreal band (that also reminds me of the Dead Milkmen for some odd reason). I guarantee that they will be an opening band worth seeing. Shouldn't miss this one.

2. The Walkmen/ Richard Swift/ Talk Demonic (Granada $12): The new Walkmen record: I guess its pretty good, although its certainly not blowing me away after my initial excitement about it. And I've never seen the Walkmen live, but I've heard that they can be assholes on stage, which is fun. Their first record was especially fantastic in my mind, the second was very good, and the third is pretty good. I'm intrigued to see them live, and I might just do so in order to catch their wall of haze in person. Richard Swift writes some really great offbeat piano/guitar pop songs. Nothing fancy, but quite good (he's also playing a Good Records in store at 4pm today). Talk Demonic should also be worth seeing.


And something about the prospect of paying $40 to see Beck and Jamie Lidell at Nokia makes me yawn and say "who gives a fuck?"

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ranger, I will see you at the Walkmen show! (insert pansy ass, wisecracking comments here anon 9:23)

3:20 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

I still haven't decided if I'm going yet, but if I do, I'll find you and we'll fight that 923 guy.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do any of y'all know if the Man Man show is 21+?

3:50 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

i'm going to hit up the man man show, but i'm seriously considering going out to Nokia to see Lidell first. he's almost worth dealing w/ that shitty venue and paying the 40 bucks. if you saw his show a few months back at Hailey's you know what i'm talking about.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw the Walkmen at the Tea Room when they came with Built to Spill last September and saw them before that at Sxsw last year both times the lead singers voice over powered the whole band to the point of bursting ear drums. Becks show should be good saw the live feed from Bonnaroo seemed like fun to me. BUt Nokia does suck. And Man Man is 18+ check the cavern's website
http://www.thecaverndallas.com/

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, lower greenville is on fire. No mas Arcadia + others...

5:48 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

holy shit that fire is insane. poor nuevo leon.

6:09 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

yeah, I love that place.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Sam M. said...

my photos are up at my blog and also at Unfair Park.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shut up

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dont worry too much about the Walkmen -- go to see Richard Swift -- that guy's got some incredible songs!

listen to "the novelist" on his myspace page

http://myspace.com/richardswift

imho its the best song about the creative process since mr tambourine man

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ! The Coup was in town too, you know that.

1:56 AM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

anyone that didn't go to Man Man tonight really missed out.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Sam M. said...

that man man show goes in my top 10 of the year, no doubt. holy ass.

2:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Walkmen were amazing. I have no idea what you guys are talking about them being "assholes" or whatever.. they gave a riveting performance - one of the best I've seen this year. Richard Swift was... good. Interesting songs, but he had a weird / awkward "dancing guy" on stage that was throwing me off. Talk Demonic? Wtf? An entire show of prerecorded music then a girl violining voer it?? huh?? am I missing something? It wasn't bad, but.. since when can a live show consist of playing an entire, full band cd and then playing the violin along with it?

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

since the 21st century grandpa! get with it! ;)

12:45 PM  
Blogger Sam M. said...

anon 12:36:

I dedicate all 40 of my WSJR posts today to you.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw, sam. i am spent. that was intense. how am i gonna get all that bodily fluid and baby oil off the ceiling? oh, well. now you do me.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home