Tuesday, September 26, 2006

It List: Tuesday 9/26/06


We Are Scientists/ Art Brut/ The Spinto Band (Gypsy Tea Room Tea Room): Weren't We Are Scientists supposed to be like a huge band or something? You would have expected them to be if you had read the praise that many of the major MP3 blogs were giving them back in January. It was supposed to be a really big year for them, but considering that they haven't graduated from the Tea Room to the Ball Room, I guess it wasn't as big as many expected. This development is surprising to me, considering that they seem to have the perfect formula for fake indie to mainstream crossover success: a watered down amalgamation of just about every retro sound that has been fashionable over the past five years, mixed in with just the right amount of pop-punk to keep the kids bouncing. And OMG, they're from Brooklyn too! Of course, they really aren't quite as bad as all that makes them sound, but I would hardly tell you that they are worth seeing. Art Brut is a different story all together: almost everything about them tells me that I should like them, and I've seen them put on two very good live shows in the past year. However, I'm just not crazy about them. I like the Fall, and Television Personalities, and Buzzcocks, and everything else they seem to be influenced by, but theres something hold me back. I don't know why. The Spinto Band I can take or leave for the most part, but they might actually be the most interesting band on this bill. Probably not the coolest thing to say, but its true.

Lost Generation w/ Wanz (Cavern upstairs): What Wanz has tonight:

"Stand out tracks in tonights set: The new Slits ep(playing emo's nov.11th), some other more rare Slits material, Serena Maneesh(playing Rubber Gloves later this week, and of course Cygnus(Our laptop deathmatch Champ). I will have a few copies of The Lost Generation Ultimate krautrock mixtape on me tonight. If you wanna copy just let me know. Come by and have a drink and say hi."

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

must not curse here, oh... wait a sec, this ain't texasgigs.......

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like about 1/3 of Art Brut's album. Some songs are funny, but the ones that aren't funny, aren't any good(Emily Kane, Bad Weekend, Moving to L.A., Rusted Guns). I do however like the songs My Little Brother, Formed a Band, Modern Art, and Good Weekend. I heard they put on a great show live from several people, but I'm not sold on them totally.

Their no King Missle.

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GIZOOGLED:

Weren't We Are Scientists supposed ta be like a huge band or sum-m sum-m? You would hizzle expected them ta be if you had read tha praise thizzay many of tha major MP3 blogs were spendin' tizzle back in January ya feelin' me?. It was supposed ta be a really big year fo` them, but dippin' thiznat they haven't graduated from tha Tea Room ta tha Ball Room, I guess it wasn't as big as many expected so show some love niggaz. This develizzles is surpris'n ta me, consider'n tizzle they seem ta have tha perfect formula fo` fakes indie ta mainstream drug deala success yaba daba dizzle: a watered dizzay amalgizzles of just `bout every retro sound tizzy has been fashionable over tha pizzay fizzy years, mixed in wit jizzle tha rizzay amount of pop-punk ta keep tha kids straight trippin' with the gangsta shit that keeps ya hangin. And OMG, they're frizzom Brooklyn too n shit! Of course, they really aren't quite as bad as all thizzay makes tizzy sound, but I would hardly tell you that tizzle is wiznorth see'n

9:26 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

dats da jam!

9:45 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

the new slits ep is an absolute must buy. It is brilliant. I was not expecting much out of the reunion. I was wrong.

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. art brut was one of my favorite shows in awhile - singer reminded me of Mark E Smith + Jarvis Cocker + David Gedge, which i guess = my dream man (right). also i love wanz' dj nite & that new slits is rad.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love everything too.

8:26 AM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

new slits? I didn't know anything about it. Thats exciting.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

8:08, quit poaching my material...

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup all 3 bands suck

if you want something great listen to "yellow house"

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home