Tuesday, January 09, 2007

It List: Tuesday 1/9/07


Christian! Teenage Runaways /The Opposites Attract/The Cocker Spaniels/Foot Foot (Club Dada)

Wonderfully mixed bag of a show with one of my favorite new bands from last year, Christian! Teenage Runaways as the crown jewel. I'm interested to see how their act plays out in your standard Deep Ellum club versus their usual stomping (under)ground. I'm excited no matter how it turns out because they're the kind of band that still kills it even when chaos ensues. The Cocker Spaniels is the project of the extremely prolific Sean Padilla. His music sounds like a more humorous GBV or even early They Might Be Giants, and I hope the group doesn't take that as an insult. You know how a lot of bands have these smug imaginary bios that are often extremely unfunny and uninteresting, but they seem to think otherwise? Well, I just want to say that The Cocker Spaniels have one of the best true bios I've ever had the pleasure of reading on a Myspace page. Their song, "Only Black Guy at the Indie Rock Show", is the musical summary of the band bio and it's equally charming and funny. I had a hard time understanding what Foot Foot was going for, but it sounded like pretty inoffensive and quiet acoustic stuff. The Opposites Attract is a local rock band with pretty cool sounding and enthusiastic vocals.



Kaboom/Bitchin' Kitchen/Final Fight (J & J's Pizza)

I hadn't heard of Kaboom until today and I was surprised at the nastiness of their recordings. I don't think it's just the lo-fidelity that's causing it all to sound so distorted and insane. There's some palpable heaviness to the music, I think I even heard a blastbeat in there. Should be cool live. Bitchin' Kitchen is Ed from Fra Pandolf's solo project and the music is not too far from that band's music. Couldn't find anything on Final Fight but I'm told they are similar to Godspeed, You Black Emperor. That could go either way, I guess.


Night Game Cult /girlsrisewithheat/Sydney Confirm/A Vague Sound (Rubber Gloves)

There are many shared rhythmic sensibilities in this lineup. All of these acts employ a lot of dark melodrama and dance rhythms, though Sydney Confirm seems to be a little more light hearted. Night Game Cult is always a truly unique live experience that everyone should try at least once. The kind of courage displayed at a Night Game show isn't exactly common around here. I wish this wasn't the same night as the aforementioned Dada show.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cliff notes.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea I was playing tonight..

Bitchin' Kitchen isn't my "solo project". It's an improv thing that my friend Chuck and I started. Any time either of us play (whether it be together or alone) we call it Bitchin' Kitchen. And almost every time we play, we have a new guest that plays with us. I guess tonight's just his deal.

The recordings we have on myspace feature myself playing drums, Chuck on guitar and Joel North of Mom on guitar as well. These days, any time we play- we just do guitar noise.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Defensive Listening said...

That's quite a confusing concept for a band, Ed. Forgive me for getting the facts wrong. If you don't even know when a project you're involved with is playing, how do you expect us to know? I saw Bitchin' Kitchen on the bill on Kaboom's Myspace and I always see your name attached to the project. I just made an assumption. Sorry.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what happened to the year ender part two, and your post, dl?

6:02 PM  
Blogger Defensive Listening said...

Wednesday.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No apology necessary. We're obviously not too serious about this, so it's not a big deal. I've seen you guys post our shows before, and I've never said anything just avoid this confusion.

I am a bit confused about this particular show though.. Even on nights that I don't personally play, I usually at least know about the show. I think this whole thing might've been a mix up.. or I'm just out of my own loop- who knows?

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fault on the Bitchin' Kitchen thing. I was told by one person that you guys were playing, but no one else I talked to knew anything. I put it up on the myspace stuff just to be safe on it. Sorry for any confusion.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, thanks a ton for putting it up there!

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Foot Foot is some veteran psych psychos out of Austin with a pop sensibility. They share members with Jherri Siggnfeldt's Atropheid Sac is that means anything at all to you. I love Kaboom!s Myspace stuff too and have for awhile.

And BIG UPS to Club Dad (seriously actually) for two great New Music Tuesdays in a row. Loved watching Hotel, Hotel and Paul + Boyd's new project last week.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found out that Mom's playing in place of Bitchin' Kitchen tonight due to the mix up.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Sean Padilla said...

Thanks a bunch for the writeup. I greatly enjoyed playing Club Dada this past Tuesday.

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christian! Teenage Runaways RULLED club DADA last night!!!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

playing heavens to betsy covers doesnt "rule" anything.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it doesn't matter what they play because everything they do is perfect and pure lusciousness

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

once again, myspace = gay. seventh grade definition.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually 5:23 C!TR do not cover a Heavens to Betsy song.. that was the now defunct White Girl... Get your facts straight about a band before you post some bullshit about them!!!

and yes C!TR RULLED club dada!!

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home