Wednesday, August 01, 2007

It List: Wednesday 8/01/07

100 Damned Guns/Spitfire Tumbleweeds /Or, The Whale (Dan's Silverleaf): Many cooks in the kitchen at Dan's Silverleaf tonight. Just three acts and they have 20 members (maybe more) between them! Who knew it took so many people to make country rock? Anyways, even though I can't put my finger on why this is better than most of the acts that ruin my dinner when I'm just trying to enjoy myself on the porch at Love And War Texas, it just is. Maybe it's because those groups don't distort their vocals. More people should.

Kinks Hoot Night with Happy Bullets/Klickitat/The Lash Outs/Zest Of Yore (Double Wide): Nothing wrong with the "Hoot Night" in theory, where lesser talents get together and perform the bulletproof material of widely respected bands. I love The Kinks, so this one might offend me. Or it might be really cool. But remember bands: your choice of song is just as important as your performance. So no obvious songs, only obscure deep album cuts, b-sides, rarities etc. That's right. No "Lola." I'm looking at you Klickitat. Get some guts and do "Misty Water." Of course, now that a new Wes Anderson movie is coming out, by the this time next year I'm sure everyone will be covering "Strangers", since it was featured in the preview and his films tend to breathe new life into those lost classics. For better or worse.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOLA.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah...exactly...Lola...damn! I wanted to be the first one to comment on that!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Defensive Listening said...

Caught me. Good for you.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not out to make you look bad, lady. I just don't want anyone confusing the works Eric Clapton and Ray Davies.

P.S. The fried pickles at Love and War in Texas are amazing.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Defensive Listening said...

I wasn't confusing their work. I was probably thinking of someone I know. I wasn't being sarcastic by saying "good for you." I meant it.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow zest of yore? the whole band? or just john and dan? anyone know?

5:02 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Strawberry Fields is going to be having a screening of Ingmar Bergman's Persona at Rubber Gloves around 9 o'clock.

Afterwards there will be some Short Attention Span Theater action.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Michaela said...

I'm only doing obvious songs.

I don't even really like the Kinks. They just needed more people to play tonight.

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dj riga sprats and friends at hailey's from 12-2am. free free.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the whole new violent squid record is available for listen on the myspace page. www.myspace.com/violetsquish
:)

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zest of yore is most definitely NOT a lesser talent. one of denton's most underrated bands

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the show at Dan's Silverleaf tonight (Wed) was awesome!!

2:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did they play "party line" last night?

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zest of yore...badass. i got to hear some of the songs on their newest record. aaaand it's fucking awesome. last night though apparantly it was just dan doing a few kinks songs for fun.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Dirty Cha Cha said...

Yeah...it was just Dan last night. He sounded good. The Lash Outs were fantastic. And The Happy Bullets were fun of course.

It was good times and thanks to anyone that came, but it was the last Hoot Night I'm doing. I think it's a good idea, but it takes more time and patience than what I have.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Michaela said...

Yeah, the Lash-Outs kicked ass.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home