Tuesday, November 13, 2007

It List: Tuesday

Goddamn it man. Two great shows tonight, and unless you drive really fucking fast, you'll have to pick one (post written by Stonedranger):

Architecture In Helsinki/Glass Candy/Panther (Hailey's): For some reason, every time I hear Architecture in Helsinki, I think about Fiery Furnaces. Perhaps its the manic, hyper short attention spans of both of these bands that causes it, but whatever the reason, I always come to the same conclusion: Fiery Furnaces are overrated, and Architecture in Helsinki are not. I know I know, they aren't really similar enough to compare in this way, but I just like taking shit. I mean talking shit. To me, Architecture's songs often seem to border on gimmicky, but the underlying chaos of their work is often refreshing thanks to a solid emotionally provocative core that ties most of their music together. Its tempting to dismiss some of their more restless material as little more than throwing shit against a wall to see what sticks, but for me, more careful listens have revealed something more happening beneath the surface, which is something I don't find in the work of, say, Fiery Furnaces. Glass Candy returns to the area after quite an upswing in media recognition over the past few months. In addition to playing a major role in making the Italians Do it Better compilation After Dark one of the more thrilling dance releases of the year, GC's Johnny Jewel has also earned quite a bit of praise for the Chromatics album Night Drive, which came out a few weeks ago. If disco for heroin addicts sounds appealing to you, then you'll probably enjoy taking in the Italo/Eurodisco/synth pop influenced sounds of Glass Candy, who despite what you might think at first glance, put quite a bit more thought into what they do than the average hip dance act. Panther is obviously the least substantive of the three groups here, and although I'm not crazy about his record, I've heard so many things about his shows that I would be interesting in checking him out.

Jens Lekman/Sarah Jaffe (Granada): Maybe it was because the first Jens Lekman review I ever read was written by an annoying dork, but for some reason I sort of ignored this guy until like three or four months ago when I heard his single "Maple Leaves" for the first time and was completely blown away. Lekman's combo of audacious samples, over the top crooning and twee inspired smart ass love lyrics might all be pretty awful on their own, but they certainly come together to produce some moving and genuinely funny pop songs for people that would never really listen to funny pop songs. His latest record, Night Falls Over Kortedala, contains so many strong moments that it is a bit hard to take in one sitting for the first time, but Lekman's charm, which seems to draw from Morrissey and the sweet yet cynical energy of bands like the Pastels, makes it a pretty easy listen after a while, and one of the better pop albums I've heard this year.
And Fishboy is playing a free show at Good Records at 630.

41 Comments:

Blogger patricio said...

"I just like taking shit"

pure poetry man. but yeah i'll probably settle for panther.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...all this plus a free fishboy instore at good recs!

4:33 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

I guess I like doing that doo... I mean too.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do the dew

4:36 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

YOU ARE THE LIIIIIiIiIiiight

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont care what any of you say, i still love vice.

"A poor man’s—and by poor man’s I mean Swedish faggot’s—Tom Jones. The only thing gayer would be to put a homo getting a haircut on the cover."

4:55 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

thats hilarious... i still like vice too.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...I would be interesting in checking him out."


we todd did

5:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Last time I saw Jens I got him to sign a T-shirt for my then girlfriend. I asked him to write something like "wish I could be having sex with you" on it but he said that he felt uncomfortable doing that and wrote "hi" instead. Kinda dorky I thought, but Night Falls Over Kortedala is still the best album of the year so far.

Can't wait for the show!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these shows = more money than i have to my name. :(
life is lame.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I'm going to have to drive fast tonight.

These two shows PLUS Super Mario Galaxy is making this one busy Tuesday.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fiery furnaces are 27 times better than arch. in helsinki.

"you said make believe, but i thought you said maple leaves."

he has 72 versions of that song.

JENS!!!! in the House.

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fishboy is embarassing

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to who(m)?

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope everyone makes it out for Jens. if you happen to talk to him or scream out his name during the show, do Dallas a favor and pronounce it 'Yens' (it's not short for Jennifer y'know)

peace

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fishboy was great!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

i agree w/ 658

9:43 PM  
Blogger C.M.B. said...

I need help recording some live audio at a show for an N.P.N.R video I'm trying to make, if you want to help, or offer advice, and be treated with princely respect, please shoot me an email.

Thanks!
http://myspace.com/noparentsnorules

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DENTON SHAKE DOWN

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Attn Denton:
Home in six days.
Finally home.

I recorded 3 songs as Draag (so as not to waste this badass weed).
www.myspace.com/draag666


Love,
Aaron

2:14 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

NPNR is Sososososoooooo ovverrated. all ihear is 'OMG NPNR IS LEIK SO HIP N' COOl. I WANNA DEW CLINT" so tired of it.


























(it was a joke...if you didn't get it...yeah..joke).

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this aint fishboys town anymore!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vice sucks. wtf.

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fishpenis sux

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're naming our first born son, "Quatro" because of fishboy!

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't do it. all his friends will call him four.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dana Falconberry with Short Attention Span Theater @ RGRS.

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I just listened to Jens Lekman for the first time, wondering what all this buzz was about. That shit is brutal. No lyrics, however profound or funny can fix that music. His voice is also really bad, it reminds me of the singing on South Park. Claim irony, or your love of elevator rides, but I just don't get it man.

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought the statement 'no parents' is a rule?

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To say something like Fiery Furnaces is overrated definitely deserves an explanation. After seeing them several times and listening to practically all of their albums, any hype they've received is well-deserved.
Fiery Furnaces is one of the only bands that has come out this new century that I've actually been able to respect on more levels than just the music alone.
I'm not saying that everyone has to like the Fiery Furnaces. I just think they're far from overrated.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scott walker is not overrated.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Scarlett said...

Architecture in Helsinki was so terrible live. What a HUGE disappointment. They managed to ruin the BEST song that they have. I can't believe I wasted so much money on this.


(I still had a good time though because we left after the butchering of "It's 5!"

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sad to hear the AIH show was no good. i thought they were great here in '05 (r.i.p. Trees). not surprised though as i cannot get into their new album after liking 'in case we die' so much.

makes me feel even better about my choice to see Jens though... he was great. turned out to be just him with no backing band, choir, etc. his voice was great, between song banter was funny, and a 'you can call me al' cover!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

12:39-I love the Furnaces and feel the same way about them being one of the greatest current bands...but they get so much damn press for every album they put out, which is close to one a year, so I can see where a non diehard fan would say they are overrated.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey SR and DL. It's Wednesday, what's going on that we should all know about that is not some overrated b.s.?

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought AIH was pretty spot on last night - their new album is weird chaotic, a little less quiche as their last record. But they sounded incredible when they got to their newer stuff.
"It's 5" was their third song so basically you were there for Panther and Glass Candy who were both pretty incredible.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arch. was so shitty.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strangeboys on cover of Austin Chronicle today

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

##########################################

Watch new videos from Burnt Sienna Trio on the Denton Catalogue!

##########################################

www.thedentoncatalogue.com

4:40 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

Hey,

I figured a couple people would have something to say about Fiery Furnaces considering that so many people I respect are so into them.

I guess they are one of those bands that provide a lot of room for disagreement, and while I certainly don't actively dislike them, they just don't do it for me.

I suppose I admire their ambition, and I can think of several stretches of FF songs that I really dig, but at the end of the day a lot of their material sounds rather forced to me, and for all the work it takes to follow what they are trying to do, the payoff is less than I'd like it to be in the sense that the songs don't really resonate with me on either an emotional or intellectual level.

Again, I think they are pretty interesting, but my main point was that I simply feel like they get a disproportionate amount of praise in the press, while AIH doesn't seem to get enough for doing something that is often quite similar from a structural standpoint, and in my opinion, a bit more rewarding.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate the fiery furnaces. I don't care who likes them. They are wrong.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home