Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It List: Wednesday

Kids in the Hall (Nokia): Apparently Kids in the Hall are back together and performing a lot of new material mixed in with some older favorites. Watching reruns of their TV show, as well as regular viewings of Brain Candy, makes it pretty clear that their concepts and jokes really haven't aged at all. I mean, how many shitheads like the "He's Cool, He's Hip, He's 45" guy have you had to deal with in the past few months?

Taxi Fare (Zubar)

The Hope Trust/Lalaland/Deep Snapper (Hailey's): Lalaland qualifies as the first "indie pop" band I've ever heard that features a singer who seems to be directly inspired by the solo work of Phil Collins. But like many bands who are "inspired" by some older band or artist, these dudes don't even come close to approaching the quality of the source material. I'll say it again: these guys aren't even close to being as good as Phil Collins solo. This would be a much more effective dis if I hadn't listened to Collins' "Two Hearts" twice in a row on my ipod the other day. Don't tell anyone. And the Hope Trust is kind of this alt country influenced radio friendly indie pop band that sounds like Wilco during their more predictable moments. How many bands in Texas can you say THAT about? Deep Snapper is the saving grace here for sure.

The Scoop (Fallout Lounge): The Scoop spins a lot of down tempo, jazz infused instrumental hip hop beats. A lot of it is pretty good if you're in the mood for that sort of thing. I also heard them get into some dance stuff at the end of their set a few weeks ago, which was cool until homie had to go and fuck with Michael Jackson via needless scratches. Don't do that. Pretty chill event all around though.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say he sounds more like jacob dylan than phil collins

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The difficult thing about being a mass murderer isn't the murdering part. It's the mass part. It's the pace you've gotta keep up, the sheer volume of murdering. 'Cause the funny thing about killing: After the first time you've killed, the second time it's easy. The third time you start to get cocky, so you gotta be careful. You know, you gotta stay humble or you make dumb mistakes. And, oh, by around the seventh time you're likely to feel like you're in a bit of a rut. Want to get artistic with it, you know, start cutting off the middle toe of each victim so you'll be known as "The Middle Toe Murderer." By that point, I don't know, I think that's showboating. You know, you gotta ask yourself: "Who am I doing this for? Am I doing it for myself or for the press?" Around about the twentieth murder, well, you're likely to be sick of the whole thing. You know, sometimes I don't even want to look at another corpse. I feel if I even see a chainsaw, I'll scream. It's like what happened the other day: I had just finished ending a human life in a senseless act of violence when I run into this old friend of mine from high school. And he says, "Hey! Whatcha been doin'?" And I think to myself, "What HAVE I been doing? What am I doing with my life? Where's this leading? Am I gonna be doing this at fifty?" Sometimes I think I really should go back to college."

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KIDS IN THE HALL!

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you couldn't afford tickets to Kids in the Hall, come out to Rubber Gloves tonight for SAST! We will be watching some requested Tim and Eric from the just released DVD and also videos from ASSSCAT!, the improv troupe made up of Upright Citizen's Brigade. Plus all the other crazy videos, music and mid week drinking you have come to expect from SAST.

While it may not be live, its all still really funny!

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this isn't for the faint of heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sl7Rn8CcHU

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your words are so kind

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sr- king of burns

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, SR. You're off your game. Converge was tonight, and I coulda gone if you would've let me know. Maaaaaannn

11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, SR. You're off your game. Converge was tonight, and I coulda gone if you would've let me know. Maaaaaannn

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shit, that's my bad, dog. however, you have to give me a break considering that im not in the habit of checking The Door for good shows.... for good reason.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did anyone see Kid Rock's entourage.. all the 18 wheelers and tour buses..? It was really obnoxious.

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genghis Tron was fucking amazing last night.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

genghis tron? awesome name. haven't heard any of it though.
KITH was fun last night.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. The Door is lame. Weird that they got that show. You're forgiven. We still cool, bro.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea weird that a good band even played in dallas, especially at the door.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genghis Tron's music is good, but I couldn't get past the programmed drumming for a metal band. Some bands can pull off no drummer(Undoing of David Wright), but I was really looking forward to seeing a drummer keep up with that shit live.

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tim duncan i'm going to kick your ass unless you denounce your weshotjr commenting persona. then i'm going to shoot the j

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Genghis Tron actually did pull off a great show with no drummer. I can get right past it easily. I don't let any preconcieved notions or ideas get in the way of good music. I heard some really good beats, and I don't need to see someone playing them.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I had not heard of the no drummer thing before seeing them. They were good, but after many drinks I was all "wtf?" about it. How was coliseum?

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home