Friday, March 24, 2006

Thursday Nights and Other News


Hey there people of Dallas. I know that getting you to try something different for your Hipster Does Dallas routine is difficult sometimes. You've got your "scene," and your "friends," and your "rock n' roll" that all the kids listen to. But let me ask you a question. When was the last time you had a really fun Thursday night?

I know what you're going to say. "I have a lot of fun going down to Expo Park every Thursday and listening to assholes sing dumb songs at karaoke." To which I say, "what are you, an idiot?"

Now that we have all that cleared up, let me ask you another question. Do you like late 80's/early 90's hip hop? If you answered no, grab your mouse, point it up to the top right hand corner of this screen and kindly leave my website. You can come back when you stop being dumb. But for those that do appreciate what is truly the golden age of hip hop, you might want to think about heading over to the Slip Inn next Thursday night for a taste of the old school.

And I know what you're thinking. Many of you probably know that Old School Hip Hop night is nothing new, and has in fact been happening at the Slip Inn for the past couple of years. Thats cool, because like our friend over at Themepark Experience said today, sometimes you just miss the boat. But last night was the first time we had attended, and let me tell you: we decided that it will be our new Thursday night hang out spot just about a minute after we walked through the door.

And I bet some of you are also thinking that nothing could be worse than a bunch of dorky hipsters dancing to JJ Fad. Well theres no need to worry, because Thursday nights at the Slip Inn are hipster free (and JJ Fad free), and goddamn did we need a break (not from JJ Fad). Yes, going to Old School Hip Hop night will require you to be around some different people. A few of them might even go to SMU (gasp!), and others might even be, get this, not white. But if you can get past your 80's retro xenophobia for one evening, you'll discover that the Slip Inn is the best thing going on Thursdays.

Here was our experience last night: we walk to the door and witness the tail end of a fight between bouncers and some jackass (which was kind of exciting), and then walk inside to a packed house dancing to a Leaders of the New School Song, which was immediately followed by a Black Sheep song (not the movie). Then some dude came up to us and said that he had bought four beers at once because he didn't want to go up to the bar again, and that since he now had to leave, he wanted to give us two of them. We said yes. Just about this time, two strangers started a conversation with us about matching socks and that episode of Seinfeld where George does the opposite of everything, at which point a song by Notorious B.I.G. came on. Then we danced.

As we kept drinking and dancing, we heard songs by Arrested Development, Chubb Rock, Digable Planets, Wu Tang Clan, and a bunch of other really cool shit that we had either heard long ago and forgotten about, or had never heard before at all. And it wasn't "ironic" or kitschy or whatever, it was just fun. Drinks were spilled, good looking people danced, bad looking people danced, and we didn't hear a single note of that krunk bullshit that has rendered American Hip Hop virtually dead to us. The mix was fantastic, and the people were nice. We stayed until closing, and were left wanting more. No skinny ties, no bad attitudes, and no bad music. Thats the kind of thing we need on Thursdays, and if you're adventurous enough to try the Slip Inn next Thursday, you'll realize that it is the kind of thing that you need too. Bele dat.

(oh, and check the Compact Disk logo on the Rob Base cover. Why don't they use that these days? And also, later today you will see the first post by a new writer on We Shot J.R. This person will be contributing from time to time because 1) the person is a good writer that you will like, and 2) we can't be everywhere at once every single night, and we thought this would help expand our coverage a little bit. Tell us what you think. And we'll tally up the We Shot J.R. Award votes this weekend, even though we didn't get as many votes as we wanted. We'll post those some time today or tomorrow as well.)

9 Comments:

Blogger pimplomat said...

I love the Slip Inn for its cliental and musical diversity.

I hate the Slip Inn for its long bathroom line.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that stuff you mentioned was all Middle School, man. Old School went out w/ the 80s. Digable Planets = middle school. Wu is not even that. Just making a distinction here .... did they play any EPMD?

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!

4:12 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

ok, thats a good point. I guess its just old school to me... but honestly, is the early 80's shit better than the late 80's, early 90's stuff? I say no fucking way. But you're right, I guess its not old school in the classical sense. And yes they did play EPMD.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

can't believe you been sleeping on the slip inn. i thought you guys were up on this shit.

4:43 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

I know, we suck.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hurt myself doing the roger rabbit into a garbage can to EPMD's You Gots To Chill at the slip inn a year or so ago. Yes, the bathroom line is a problem but luckily they have that old piano there so you can play it while you wait. One time I played the piano line from Marley Marl's "the Symphony" (which is a sample of Redding's Hard To Handle) while my homeboy recited Big Daddy Kane's verse. We impressed 0 girls that night.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

since you are now just getting hip to hip hop that is over ten years old- you will probably be going to vintage krunk hip hop nights in ten years from now- not all krunk is shit-

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would just like to say a few things:
A. I have that Rob Base album on vinyl! Yes, I do. The very same one I bought way back in the day.
2. I still don't know what the hell krunk means... and I'm okay with that...
d. Digable Planets rocks me now, rocked me then, and always will rock me. "An insect til I die." Man, I love Dig Plans.
12. Modern commercial rap sucks nuts. Period.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home