Wednesday, May 24, 2006

It List: Wed. 5/24/06

I'm sure that many of you will be out and about watching the Mavs game somewhere, getting drunk and watching our boys wipe the floor with Steve Nash. Hey, if Finley should get boos so should Nash, right? But after the game, you might want to check out:

1. The Party w/ DJ Nature (Rubber Gloves): Nature is finally picking up some steam as far as crowds and attention around town. And its about damn time. Go listen to him spin the most creative yet simply fucking danceable set in DFWd.

2. Court & Spark/ Brothers and Sisters/ Pink Nasty (The Cavern): C&S and Brothers and Sisters might not be blowing anyones minds with how fucking "out there" they are, but I'd be lying if I told you that both bands weren't really good at what they do: namely, 60's folk influenced country indie pop. San Francisco's Court & Spark play a fairly quiet, sleepy folk pop that seems to rock at just the right moments and wander off on gentle instrumental sunshine haze trips at others. Austin's Brothers and Sisters remind me of a poppier Son Volt, and really seem to have command over the trad country songwriting palette with just enough "indie" to appeal O.C. kids and a few indie snobs too. And I'm not quite sure that I get all the local/regional buzz surrounding Pink Nasty. Her music isn't bad I suppose: pretty run of the mill indie twang pop, which is fine and sometimes great if done right. And sometimes she does it right, and its great. But for the most part, I hate "jokey" lyrics, and she's full of them. I know I won't fret if the Mavs game causes me to miss her set, but maybe she's better live. Overall, I bet this will be a pretty good show.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish my Denton>Dallas hovercraft were operational. This will be very ok and sound good thanks to Glen, if he's working.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to go to that Court & Spark show so bad, but I'm out of town... their last record was great... haven't heard the new one yet.

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the court and spark link brougt up the wrong myspace page...

(f.y.i)

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home