Saturday, June 03, 2006

It List: Saturday 6/3/06

Busy night tonight, and like many a Saturday evening, most of the action is in Denton. In addition to the Mavs game (7:30 tip), Nine Inch Nails is playing with Bauhaus and T.V. on the Radio at Smirnoff. And while I would normally go nuts for such a line up, its at fucking Smirnoff and it costs like $35. I guess paying out the ass is the only way you can see bands like NIN and Bauhaus these days. Oh well. I'm not going.

1. The Angelus/ Shiny Around the Edges/ Fra Pandolf (Secret Headquarters-Denton): Gotta give props to Scott and the rest of the guys over at SHQ in Denton for putting together such a great grand opening line up. We probably don't have to explain to you what these bands sound like, so we won't other than to say that they are some of the best bands in the area. What we will tell you is that SHQ is located at 210 E. Hickory St. in Denton, its always BYOB, and always three dollars. And oh yeah, they start early... the first band goes on at 7, which will give you time to head over to one of the other great shows in lil d after. Scott also says that televisions will be tuned to the Mavs game in case you're into that sort of thing (and who isn't?)

2. The Great Tyrant/ Mazinga II/ Silk Stocking/Pegasus Now/ You Are the Universe (Haileys-Denton): Another great show... we've talked about all of these bands before other than the Great Tyrant, which is made up of some formers members of Yeti, etc. They sound pretty awesome to us, and we're sure they're gonna be good live. They remind me of a less difficult Sunn0))) with drums and other instruments that you can actually hear. But they are just as creepy. We've also caught URTU live and they are really interesting. Sometimes they record their live shows right on the spot and sell the CDs for a dollar after the show, which seems like a pretty great idea since I doubt any two performances are ever the same.

3. Strange Boys/ Skullening/ Eat Avery's Bones (The Eighth Continent- Denton): More good bands at another really cool place to see a show. EAB is becoming one of our favorite local bands. The venue is located at 731 Texas St. in Denton. Oh, and check out Skullening's Myspace page. Nothing else sounds like them in this town. They remind me of Swell Maps with really bad attitudes and the same piercing fucking keyboards and guitars. They too will be great live, I'll bet ya.

4. Green Milk from the Planet Orange/ White Denim (Metrognome- Ft. Worth): Holy crap. I would move this up the list if I wasn't too lazy to redo the entire thing. Japan's GMFTPO sounds fantastic... they call themselves "the new wave of progressive rock," and they just might be right. Go listen to their myspace page, and then think about the fact that they are playing in Midland tomorrow. I pray for their safety. And I don't know where this White Denim comes from, but I really like them, and I've never heard anything like them before. I doubt you have either. Metrognome is really kicking everyones asses when it comes to booking experimental shows.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh jesus. there is way too much to do tonight.

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and the big bike race is on..
who will come in first?

3:33 PM  
Blogger pimplomat said...

And for all your after show needs, there's that party on Swiss Avenue in Dallas. You know, the 3rd Annual Anti Flip-Flop Party.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love white flip flops-
the kind that leave a dirty shadow of toes.yuk

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously there are some great bands around here.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna kick myself for letting Bauhaus go unseen. One of the only bands from my teen years whose records I still think sound very good. Oh well, they will probably sound like shit outdoors at Smirnoff.

If they were playing at a real club, I'd pay the real money to go.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks, James. I had no idea that GMFPO was at your spot. Chin up, tiger. You are fighting the good fight.

Sorry we ended up not having the Mavs game on, though one good soul played it on his car stereo for the whole night, just outside the front door.

Thank you to all the kind folks that made shq's first night a success. Especially the bands.

wsjr - Thanks for the plug.

3:38 AM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

yeah. we had a shit show. I'm glad I don't have to put myself through this anymore. I wish I could have gone to see Green Milk.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the exchange between james and scott is making me fucking sick.
james quit whining and scott,I give shq one year.
but chin up guys

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell, man... A year?
That's actually pretty generous of you.

Does this mean we can't be myspace friends?

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We ended up missing everything after the SHQ show as we have a front light out, passed three cops just driving to unload our gear, and were followed home by a cop the previous evening after a night at RGRS.

Did not want to risk any sort of ticket action.

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Silk Stocking sounded great last night. I enjoyed the laptop stuff as well. I unfortunately had to leave pretty early.

4:12 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

what is this anonymous guy talking about with the whining bands shit. I am the only person from a band that even posted on this strand and I wish fewer people were at the show. We just had a very off night and a very bad sound guy. Not to mention Green Milk is pretty bad ass. I wish I could have seen them. I think some people on here just like to be assholes and really have no idea what they are responding to. James wishes more people would come out and his venue. There is nothing wrong with that especially when they have bad ass Japanese bands llike Green Milk playing and Scott thanked everyone for making their first night a success. I have a theory. There are 2 or 3 jaded little whiny bithces that get off picking on people anonymously. When in fact they are the ones whining. I'm sure I will get shit for even responding, but frankly .........I could give a shit. I went by SHQ as well as the Lost gen Concert. There were plenty of people at both and everyone seem to be having a good time.

I really wish I could have seen Green Milk though.

7:46 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

don't sweat it Jamo. We had a lot of problems. You should try and come see the Deathsquad open for Cex next week. We have a really good Deathsquad assembled for that show.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i move to fort worth i will prolly be at every metrognome show.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I <3 Metrognome. It's a great space, with equally great people behind it. I loved sitting out back, drinking some brew, chatting & hearing some good music on Friday. I'll be making that road trip more often!
I got wrapped up in something here on Saturday, so failed to make it to Denton, as planned. Can't wait to see what SHQ is up to. Cheers!

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home