Sunday, June 11, 2006

It List: Sunday 6/11/06

Cex/ Love of Everything/ Various Laptop Deatmatch artists (Hailey's): To sort of quote the Vaselines, Cex sucks. "IDM," if its a real genre at all, really has to be done well in order to work in my mind. The 19 year old kid that is Cex doesn't quite pull it off, because I just don't think the world needs another jokey white hip hop kid, even if his beats are a little better than that of the average jokey hip hop kid. The reason we are recommending this show, however, is the charming electro-folkpop of Love of Everything, and the always great participants in the Laptop Deathmatch scene.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO! GO! GO!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for the laptop props! :)

10:01 AM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

Cex was very bad ass. Approaching Liars level bad ass. Great Live show. Awesome drummer. Not at all what I expected. I have seen him quite a few times. This was his by far the most evolved set I have seen him do. not even an ounce of white boy hip hop. Way more on the Krautrock/Noise trip. Great show. sparse attendance.

11:25 AM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

hmmm, we downloaded some stuff and it sounded like shit... and there was rapping.

1:55 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

no rapping at this show. absolutely none. more chanting and screaming with his wife. You would have really dug this stonedranger. It was more like a funkier boredoms with a baltimore club music twist. I have not heard the new cd. If it is not like what I saw I will be very bummed. I hung out with afor awhile. I get the feeling he does what ever he wants whenever he wants. I played Sandcats(his other laptopless project he does with his wife) in Boston a few months ago. That stuff was more like throbbing gristle. I have always been so so over his records, but he has always been very entertaining live. Even when he was doing the white boy rap thing. What he did last night was completely unexpected and completely off the chain. He good weed to boot. Records can be deceiving with ever evolving guys like him(and me too for that matter).

3:32 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

hmm. That sounds pretty cool.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught part of the Cex show in Austin, trying to escape the heat outdoors, I ran to Emo's inside. I was pleasantly surprised & yeah, that drummer was badass!

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home