Tuesday, June 27, 2006

It List: Tuesday 6/27/06





1. Occasional Detroit/ Kidko (Metrognome): Don't be like me. Don't miss another great show at Metrognome because you can't make it out to Ft. Worth tonight. I can't make it for various reasons, but if I were going out tonight, this is where I would be. OD is I guess what you would call "avant hip hop," but I would just call it some great beats and efficiently utilized noise parts. I've never really heard anything quite like it, but I guess you could maybe make a Suicide comparison, if only slight. And don't be afraid of the IDM label (I often am), because Kidko is one of the better electronic artists in DFW right now. I think Juiceboxx was supposed to play this show too, but I don't think they are on the bill anymore.

2. Lost Generation with Wanz (Cavern Upstairs): Heres what he'll have tonight. Sounds good:

"Tonight's theme is nostalgia. I am gonna time warp back to the listening habits of my group of friends duringb the early to mid 90's. MBV, The Darkside, Spacemen 3, Slowdive, Laika, Seefeel, Squarepusher, Stereolab, Silver Apples, Pale Saints, Tortoise, Yo La Tengo, ESG, Bark Psychosis, Pram, Slint, Public Enemy, Atom Heart,Kraftwerk and much much more. I'm diggin deep into the vault for this one. Have you ever heard The Velvet Underground legendary Guitar Amp Tape? Do you know what Narcotic Guitar is?When was the last time you listened to the 1st Suicide album? Remember SST records? Anyone remeber Mark Ibold's pre-pavement(and far superior) band "The Dustdevils"? When was thge last time you dusted off a Gastr del Sol record? Remember the Denton house parties with The Boredoms, Blues Explosion and Mouse and Mars? A few of you out there may even remember freaking out The Swirlies when they came to Denton when everyone kept trying to get them stoned..........oh the days. It's nostalgia night at Lost Generation."


I would have loved to try to get the Swirlies stoned. I can't believe they wouldn't.


Also, Eat Avery's Bones is playing with the Peelers, The Future Unlived and Polio=Feet at Dada tonight. I'm not a big "garage" guy, and I can't stand rockabilly, so I can't really recommend the Peelers... Future Unlived's myspace page is fucked up so I can't really hear what they sound like, and I can't really find anything about the feet dudes, so sorry Surly.

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Polio=Feet does have a myspace. It is:

Wyman And Laabfunkle Are Polio Equal Feet

These guys are fucking entertainment!

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes Wanz. What a hella time! Our "groups" listened to the same records for sure.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.myspace.com/newmusicnight
http://www.myspace.com/polioequalfeet

4 Bands/4 Bucks & 1/2 Price Pints all night. See some of you there!

8:19 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

say what you want about Wanz, but how many 16 year old kids in Richardson would freak out if they turned on the Adventure Club next Sunday and heard Wanz playing The Swirlies, This Heat and the Pop Group istead of Josh playing Coldplay, Tim DeLaughter farting into a microphone, and Coldplay?

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tim delaughter is so hot. i would mountain dew him harddd. just kidding. he smells.

1:46 AM  
Blogger Shil K. Patel said...

i also heard years ago the swirlies played a backyard in dallas. and, i regularly dust off 'camofleur.'

10:18 AM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

A radio show.....Hmmmmm!!!! That would be sweet.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dew it dew it

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or just a podcast. those kinda rule.

hey, are those regulated by things like ASCAP or no?

...cause if not, i wanna do that shit. if so, that'd be too much lost $ or time spent filtering through which bands you can't play.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd listen to it.

1:37 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

we're doing one... all local. Should be ready in the next week or so.

1:39 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

podcast.....how would I go about setting that up? A Lost generation Podcast sounds pretty tempting.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and in the intro to your podcast wanz, make sure you tell everyone that they "can't even begin to understand" what you're about to play. actual quote from you when you were asked what you were listening to on an ipod once. I think I'll skip the wanzcast.

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, cut the man some slack. It's a friggin' conversation. You didn't want to talk to him, you we're looking for ammo. A little harmeless hyperbole.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bonus: I see a King Khan & BBQ t-shirt!

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those damn swirlies tried to kick our drumset to pieces, after I spent so much time collecting their albums- grrrr!

3:45 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

what?

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ben dover! why don't you go do just that!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will! BOOYAHHHH BITCHHHHH

im a naughti boi!

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to anon 12:42pm

Taking shots at Wanz is so last month. He's a decent guy and a lot more humble than some of you try to make him out to be. A wanzcast would probably make for some good radio.

11:01 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

yeah, duh!


And again, you don't have to like they guy to dig his bands/ possible podcasts or whatever.

However, I do have to say that ANON 1242's comment was funny, even if I don't share his sentiment.

11:33 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

I have no idea where mr anon is coming from. He must have caught me on a bad day. That just does not sound like something I would say if someone asked me what was on my Ipod. Especially since what I am listening to gets posted pretty much every week in various bulletins for my DJ night. I am pretty open about that stuff. Probably a little too open.

(with much sarcasm)
Oh well. I guess I will have to bury my head in a corner and mope because nobody likes me..........nahhhh!!!! I'll just smoke a J and watch some more Samurai 7.

11:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"stonedranger said...
what? "

The Swirlies borrowed our drumset for an impromptu set at Gypsy- then when they were done they tried to kick the shit out of it. Errrr, it's a really nice vintage kit. When you borrow another bands stuff that means ITS NOT YOURS TO DESTROY! Still like their cd's though.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

trail of dead destroyed my friend's drumset once.


we still love the shit out of those guys!

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the swirlies are overrated and are not good enough to break drum sets.

7:56 AM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

The Swirlies were totally lame live. Kind of awkward people. I still dig their early stuff though.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home