Monday, July 24, 2006

Last Week's Good Records Sales Chart

1. Thom Yorke - The Eraser
2. Feist - Open Season
3. Sufjan Stevens - The Avalanche
4. TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain (import)
5. Nobody & Mystic Chords of Memory - Tree Colored See
6. Tapes 'n Tapes - The Loon
7. Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
8. Grandaddy - Just Like the Fambly Cat
9. Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
10. Hot Chip - The Warning
11. Band of Horses - Everything All The Time
12. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar
13. Golden Smog - Another Fine Day
14. Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I Am Dreaming
15. Danielson - Ships
16. Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope
17. James Figurine - Mistake Mistake Mistake Mistake
18. Astronautalis - The Mighty Ocean & Nine Dark Theaters
19. The Theater Fire - Everybody Has a Dark Side
20. The Black Angels - Passover

That new TV on the Radio is really good, isn't it? I loved their first EP, but I thought the first full length was pretty weak for the most part. This one is worlds better, and I would suggest giving it a chance, even if you didn't like their first record.

8 Comments:

Blogger kidko said...

I will give it a chance per your recommendation. I heard the E.P. at some coffee shop and hurried out to buy the full length and get disappointed. Glad you agree. I thought maybe I missing something like I apparently am with the Walkmen.

2:49 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

I got it and still don't get it. They are very OK. Still sounds like indie rock lo-fi Peter Gabriel to me. Which is OK, but not worth all of the over hype these guys get. Go buy the Celebration record instead. The TV on the Radio guys are all over that record and it rules. Just my opinion.

2:54 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

Yes, they sure do sound like Peter Gabriel. And I think I like the Celebration record a bit more than this one as well... but its still a massive improvement over the first one, don't you think?

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how many chances I can give these guys. I bought the first album and saw them live twice (the second time only to see Celebration), and it did nothing for me in each instance. They're particularly bland live unless you're really into dudes playing power chords over electro sequences. So yeah, I don't get it either.

3:51 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

yeah I will give them that. The new record is a lot better. And to be fair. I saw that same show with Celbration and tehy were pretty dull for the first half of the set, but really picked it up for the second half. Like I said they are OK, but very inconsistent.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

indie rock lo-fi Peter Gabriel is dead-on. And one of the coolest things about the "artsiest" Gabriel (early Genesis) is how utterly on another planet the stuff is, not a hipster planet but a Saturday morning-glory phase-out kidstuff kind of planet. So nerdy but so just fucken great.

as opposed to TVoTR which are the most dry, suck-ass self-conscious parts of Gabriel's solo stuff, where he thinks he's some kind of cool, rich soul singer.

Yeah for my money they are the most overhyped group in all of indie rock.

5:51 PM  
Blogger complete tool said...

FOR ONCE, I AGREE WITH BOTH CHAMY AND MWANZ! HOLY SHIT!

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any album named after a level on supermario world gets my stamp of approval.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home