Wednesday, October 25, 2006

It List: Wednesday 10/25/06


Every one of you knows that you like at least ONE Elton John song. I like around 10 I think. And although I like men in feather boas about as much as the Lion King soundtrack (I guess Bowie and Jagger are the only ones allowed to wear them), we all might get a chance to see/hear both as Elton plays the Meyerson tonight for some kind of charity thing. It probably costs 8 thousand dollars and is likely sold out by now, and considering that the guy hasn't released a decent song since the late 70's, I doubt its worth anyones time to see this, duck suit or not. And I guess thats why they call it the blues.

In other news concerning over the top sweethearts that haven't released any good music in a while, The Decemberists will take the Gypsy Tea Room stage with Lavender Diamond tonight. I guess I really shouldn't be that hard on The Decemberists because they HAVE written some good songs in the past... its just that I can't take the whole English major self importance thing. I prefer blogger self importance, by the way, which is more 2006 and much more important overall. Print is totally dead dudes!

The Undoing of David Wright will be hitting up Rubber Gloves tonight with straight up harcore/oi! punks Peelander-Z and The Daily Beat. Listening to Peelander Z really reminds me of how fashionable it is becoming to dig on hardcore once again, and I for one have been waiting for it to be ok to play Black Flag in front of girls for pretty much my whole life. Of course, any time anyone mentions this trend (much like any time a person mentions hipster metal), some dude gets all up in arms about how hipster pussies need to fuck off, etc., and real hardcore fans this and that and the other. I'd just like to remind that dude that "real hardcore" went on to produce stuff like Biohazard, which should be enough to shut him up if he knows his ass from a hole in the underground. Peelander Z should be loved by anyone that has ever dug on some Bad Brains or Husker Du. Which should be all of you. And I should know, cuz I'm a real hardcore fan... not like you pussies!

And of course, you can hit up The Metro tonight with DJs Laureen and Nicole at the Cavern. Is it just me or are there always nice looking people at this thing? Since I can't link it for some reason, just go to myspace.com/mile_end for more info.

Flashlight Party will also be doing This is Radio Clash at Hailey's tonight, and it might be a good night to check it out since Dj Nature won't be doing his thing at Rubber Gloves. Thats all.

ADD *

Before Blogger so rudely locked us out of our blogspot, we were going to tell you that Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins will be playing with Will Sheff and The Blow at the Ridglea Theater in Ft. Worth tonight. Although Jenny is in fact one of the more talented indie pin-up girls you'll ever have the pleasure of seeing, the real reason to check this show out is K Records' The Blow, whose dancey electro cutie might be a bit too sweet for some, but will be entertaining for sure.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

buh, buh, buh... bennie and the jets...
did ya see the way those legs go up and make an ass of themselves???
could we have some towels?!?!
siriusly folks..........
anyone else enjoy left of center sans gorilla vs brain???????????

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Blow at Ridglea with some girl in some other band headlining.

5:18 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

yeah, I actually didn't have time to add that one before the blogger outage, but I'm going to do so shortly.

And although we're big fans of Chris' around WSJR HQ, Gorilla vs. Brain is one of the funnier things I've read in the comments in a while.

5:22 PM  
Blogger zak said...

Wow that picture is really scary. Is he doused in coke? Gotta love the 70s.

Despite that and the crapload of bad material he has put out, I still enjoy some of the old songs. And if anyone says they don't enjoy a song like 'Tiny Dancer' they are lying.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will Sheff is the Okkervil River guy. Who will Blow anybody else away I'm guessing.

6:51 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

the fact that we didn't know that totally Blows!

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the looks of it, you didn't know a lot of things today:

How the hell do you call Plander-Z a "straight up new hardcore/oi punk" band and not once talk about their stage show costumes and theatrics? All you have to do is look at a any picture or video on youtube. I don't remember black flag dressing in multicolored wigs and doing acrobatics, but I guess I'm not a real hardcore fan.

Instead maybe I'll go and scope out some babes at two of the dance parties you recommended or maybe go to the ridglea and see some 'indie pin up girls'

or maybe I'll just drop a grand on an elton john ticket since I'm a huge fan and didn't know about it until reading this blog.

thanks internet!

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you only knew how hard she Blew ....

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Decemberists show last night was really good. unfortunately, the opener - "lavender diamond"?? - was painfully awkward / terrible.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't get to go but I believe the Undoing Show Last Night was their last ever. At least that was what people were saying...

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds about right.........

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well they're scheduled for two shows on their page, including one in Austin

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its not a rumor....

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home