Tuesday, November 28, 2006

It List: Wednesday 11/29/06

Of course, DJ Nature is doing his Party at Rubber Gloves.

Wolfmother/Dead Meadow/Silversun Pickups (Gypsy Tea Room): I think its now clear that Wolfmother have become this year's "Band to Hate" in underground circles, but I just can't get on board with all that. At least not all the way. When bands rip off other bands and try to hide it, it really pisses me off. But when bands are such complete rip offs of other bands that there isn't any way they can possibly hide it, it doesn't bother me as much as long as the music is good. Wolfmother isn't great, and many of their songs just seem to lack any of those intangible qualities that make rock bands worth listening to. But they're not as terrible as people make them out to be. Its just that they are the biggest Black Sabbath/Blue Cheer ripoff of all time, and it makes people mad. Thats fine. I just don't give a shit either way. Dead Meadow have played here a few times this year, and I would recommend them to anyone that likes the electric guitar. I feel like I've seen them play live 8 million times (I believe the first time might have been as an opener for Pavement in 99), and its usually a great show. Silversun Pickups are actually the most mediocre band of all time. Its a scientific fact. Go listen to their songs if you don't believe me. I'm pretty sure this show is sold out.

Pernice Brothers/Elvis Perkins (Hailey's): Considering the influx of sweetheart indie pop bands that have been all the rage this year, I thought I'd be too tired to write a single sentence about the Pernice Brothers, even if they're too old to be a blog buzz band. However, I actually kind of like them, against my better judgment, and I apparently have the energy to write two sentences about them.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO TRUE on Silverspun Pickups, man.. Good Call.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Blackeyed Donkey said...

At the Door Tonight Acute are playing with Owen. Oh yeah! Copeland and Appleseedcast too.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Blackeyed Donkey said...

Silversun Pickups or Smashing Pumpkins, what's the difference?

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, wolfmother IS as terrible as the haters say. and DEAD MEADOW RULES FOR REAL.

that's all.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owen might be worth checking out for the price, a trip down memory lane with the Kinsella crew might be pleasant, but that new Pernice Brothers record is actually really decent, definitely not top ten or anything like that but they have a nice old school Wilco/Americana feel to them.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dead Meadow's album Feathers was rediculously good. any idea if they're touring with a new album? i hadn't heard any rumblings.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DJ NATURE.
RGRS.
FREE.
$2 YOU CALL-IT-DRINKS ALL NIGHT.

yessir.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\||||||||\\\||\\|||

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

/////////||||//

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dead Meadow opened for Stephen Malkmus at Trees in 2002 or so. Totally worth failing my trig final for that.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Rj said...

I went to Gypsy Tea Room tonight. If you like Silversun Pickups, you'd like them live. The sound wasn't very good for their set, but most bands sound muddy in the ballroom.

Dead Meadow were cool, but I think they needed some sort of visual thing. I know thats cliche for slow psyche bands, but something to look at would have been a good distraction from some frat boys wrestling each other next to me, who were waiting for "the rock".

Wolfmother were pretty good, and they probably brought thier own sound guy, because the sound was pretty clean. It's pretty rare to see Dallas crowds really get into a show, but they had the crowd going. The only thing I didn't like about them is their ability to attract meatheads.

1:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RTB2 played at J&J's and was amazing.
DUH!

2:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too old? I know that was sort of a joke. But old dudes are more qualified to guide us then kids. Plus, now that I think about it, I guess being a "blof buzz band" sort of sums up why my opening statement is moot.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SR,

Pleasantly amazed to see you give the Pernice Brothers some props.

Are there any local acts that you'd view as similar to them? You seem to bag on singer/songwriter / Sorta / Americana type here in Dallas catagorically, yet I think if the Pernice Brothers were local they'd probably fall under that umbrella.

Thoughts?

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude i mean how obvious is it that Sorta is not in the same class as the Pernice Brothers?

SR knows the difference.

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dead meadow also played haileys in 2004. whoever said dead meadow needed visuals??? i guess you didnt looked at the drummer's kit?

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude i mean i mean i mean i mean...dude! i mean i mean...dude...i mean i mean i mean...dude? dude, what do you mean?

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

c255t

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home