Thursday, May 22, 2008

It List: Thursday


Mark Sultan /Bad Sports/The Lash Outs (Rubber Gloves): Mark Sultan's 2007 release (and the first under this alias) "The Sultanic Verses" was pretty well received, even by people who don't like garage rock. It's understandable, as there is something more authentic than cartoonish about his music when compared to others in what some refer to as the "Stillborn Genre." He really started to get attention with King Khan & BBQ Show after operating under various pseudonyms. I would go into all of the other names he's played under, but I just don't have the time, even if I had all day.

Lost Generation (Fallout Lounge)

Lymbyc System/Florene/Top Secret...Shhh (Lola's):Lymbyc System partly hails from Austin, which for better or worse has a long history of tepid, borderline experimental groups that meander more than they ever fully arrive at a satisfied sonic conclusion. Not always a problem or even the point but man, Austin has always had a lot of it. Depending on who you are, this is a good show to either watch the band and concentrate sternly, or converse really loudly for four hours. Your call.

80's Night with DJ G (Hailey's): I'm just going to start using this space to talk about records I bought since everyone complains that we always list 80's Night. I was at this flea market recently and found a little stack of Giorgio Moroder (including the Oakey collab) shit, played out I know, but at two dollars apiece it was totally worth it. Also, a Divine 12-inch for the same price. Finally, the MVD reissue of the Target Video Flipper tape rules. Yes, I know how impressed you are, you don't have to tell me. If DJ G wants to start sending us a little list every week, we'd love to post it and I'll shut up.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Legends can never be played out.

Unless you're house dj's from Paris.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After a 3 year run next week will be the last Lost Gen. Skaoraoke finally did me in. It's been a good run. I am looking forward to the free time. Come by and say hi before it's gone for good.

Pop Off!!!

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

White Ghost Shivers
100 Damned Guns
Mariachi Inolvidable

8.0 / Fort Worth

(show starts at 7pm)

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah skareoke really did a number on me too!!

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is no episode of LOST tonight. wtf

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The soundtrack to "Midnight Express" blew my mind as a kid. I still think it's good, but now it reminds me of Art Bell.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw radiohead sunday night from the pit, i may not need to ever see another rock show. this was the first time i had been to starplex in a decade, i paid alot of money , and it was worth it. my punk elitism was put in check, and i asked myself have i been full of shit all these years. i think mostly no, but yes to some degree, yet i will not apologize. i still love bad brains, and always will.

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually, i can say that radiohead and bad brains are in my top 3 concerts of all time, as far as a concert experience being transcendent, and the amount of shows ive seen is probably in the thousands. number 3 might be the ed hall reunion shows in austin in 20003.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed Hall. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't Ed Hall die in the Clone Wars?

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw greg ginn at the moon in fort worth tonight, out of curiosity. very jammy. the years have not necessarily been kind.

but hes still better than henry rollins.

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAMN IT. I had a really long spiel planned for the too, including a 1500 word essay on "Let's Get Real, Real Gone For A Change." Anybody?

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ben linus = jason bourne

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try last Ed Hall show "ever" circa 1996 ... yowzaz!

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

legends never die.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the "last ed hall show ever" was cool too, but it was more sad than the reunion shows.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can has weekender?

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so sad when there were like 28 people onstage in that big mass of flour & pepper spray ...

Nah I'll take the vintage Ed

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home