Monday, April 06, 2009

not new music tuesdays

Laurie Anderson - Big Science (1982, Warner Brothers)

Wow, procrastination must be the hardest habit to break. I've known that I was going to write about this particular record since I started doing this damn column, yet here I am typing away Monday night, during the NCAA title game.

Q: Why Big Science this week?
A: My lovely daughter is having her first birthday on Thursday (YAY!!) and this is the first album that she really seemed to react to/enjoy, so I'm doing this for her, even though she will never remember it.

I've always enjoyed Anderson's work as a guilty pleasure, but listening to this album 8 million times over the course of three or four months made me appreciate it even more. This album was released to showcase the highlights of her eight hour performance art piece "United States Live," which must have been a beating to sit through. When condensed to just under 40 minutes, eight of which are taken up by the UK #2 hit 'O Superman,' this thing works pretty damn well.

--Before anyone comments "I can't believe you didn't say anything about her and Lou Reed..." Laurie Anderson and Lou Reed were married last year. So I guess she has a penis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home