Monday, May 04, 2009

It List: Monday

The photos from last night's event are up in our pictures section.  I would like to thank all the acts, attendees, and restaurant staff that made it so enjoyable.  Sincerely, thanks.

-DL


George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic (House Of Blues): The first thirteen minutes of Funkadelic's "Maggot Brain" are some of the best thirteen minutes of music I have ever heard. Just mind-meltingly great. The borderline ridiculous soloing on the gloomy title-track abruptly transforming into the upbeat gospel pop of the second track, "Can You Get To That" is something I consistently return to after being worn out by countless uninspired and unsolicited promo tracks.   At age 68, George Clinton is still touring 200 days out of the year, and I don't know if he would actually play anything off of this record, but I would go just on the off-chance that he would.  His website also credits his hair stylist, and I actually think that's awesome.  

Blood of Our Enemies/My Son My Executioner /Upon a Burning Body/Silene (The Lounge): My Son My Executioner is a pretty tough band.  Want to know why? Just check out this tour route they recently embarked upon:

3/27 Ft. Worth, TX @ The Door
3/28 Denison, TX @ The Club
3/29 McAlester, OK @ The Dawghouse
3/30 Henryetta, OK @ The Mosh Hall
3/31 Oklahoma City, OK @ TBA
4/1 Jonesboro, AR @ Commonwealth
4/2 Chattanooga, TN @ Club Fathom
4/3 Nashville, TN @ The Muse
4/4 Louden, TN @ The Boneyard
4/5 Havelock, NC @ The Office
4/6 Athens, GA @ Tasty World
4/7 Birmingham, AL @ Cave 9
4/8 Jackson, MI @ TBA
4/9 Baton Rouge, LA @ Insomkneeacks
4/10 Shreveport, LA @ 516 Soundstage
4/11 Dallas, TX @ Reno’s Chop Shop
4/12 San Antonio, TX @ The White Rabbit
4/13 McAllen, TX @ The Incubator
4/14 Corpus Christi, TX @ The Compound
4/15 College Station, TX @ Schotzi’s

That has to be the manliest tour I've ever heard of. I'm being dead serious. That looks brutal.


Cool Out (The Cavern)


Paul Slavens (Dan's Silverleaf)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home