Wednesday, May 20, 2009

It List: Wednesday





Isis/Pelican/Tombs (Granada Theater): Isis, of course, is a highly skilled and typically excellent metal band with avant and prog influences that actually make them pretty interesting, as evidenced by their involvement with people such as Justin Broderick and Tim Hecker, and their admitted Neurosis, Melvins and Swans influences.... all positive attributes. Tombs, too, is a very solid shoegaze metal act, and one that has been receiving a lot of attention in their native Brooklyn recently, thanks in part to the upcoming release of a highly anticipated full length album later this year (which will probably be available at the show). However, Pelican? Does anyone really listen to that band? I have had a lot of trouble over the years trying to figure out why people find this group entertaining, and trust me--- I love metal, instrumentals, noise, music that "takes patience," and, to borrow some words from a personal lyrical hero, I "dig repitition." Still don't dig these guys though.

Crystal Method/LA Riots (House of Blues): I think I tried to see this band at Deep Ellum live in like 1997 but couldn't get in because I wasn't old enough or something. My dad was probably glad that I didn't get into this show just so that I didn't "waste my money and hang out with idiots," and now I'm glad about it too. Thanks Dad!

PS-- Openers LA Riots kind of remind me of this conversation I had with Alan Palomo once where he talked about how low IQ hipster dance acts are completely ruining electronic music in the eyes of people with decent taste, and LA Riots seem to be the poster boys for this argument.

Apple Miner Colony/Heartstring Stranglers/Suprise Guest DJ (Bee's Manor, 306 Texas St., Denton): Free show starts at 9pm featuring the headliners, Apple Miner Colony, who are a 20 piece "folk orchestra."

Dust Congress/Burnt Sienna Trio/Chris Welch (Dan's Silverleaf): This show kicks off a brief tour for Dust Congress to coincide with their latest release, as the band will head through the dirty south and make their way to some of the worst cities Florida has to offer.

Left of the Dial with DJ G (Rubber Gloves): Spinning post-punk, goth, early industrial, shoegaze, etc. Go see a DJ who actually knows what the fuck he's talking about for a change, people. Wanz Dover will be guesting with G tonight.

Propagandhi/Bridge and Tunnel (Prophet Bar): I think I tried to see this band at the Argo in like 1995 but couldn't get in because I wasn't old enough or something. My dad was probably glad that I didn't get into this show so that I didn't "waste my money and hang out with idiots," and now I'm glad about it too. Thanks Dad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home