Monday, February 15, 2010

It List : Monday



Screaming Females/Jeff the Brotherhood/Teenage Cool Kids (The Lounge)

Pretty fantastic power pop/punk line-up here. Start your week off with a jolt. All ages if it matters to you.

Nouvelle Vague (Granada)

I feel like every time I go to the Granada there are at least 25 to 30 members of the audience that stand out. They are in their late 30's or 40's and dressed a little too uptown for the event that is taking place. Everything is cool with these folks who traditionally travel in couples until the 4th or 5th song of any given artist set when they look at one another in complete ambivalence. "Jeez Paul I can't believe you spent 60 bucks on this Resident's...band" "Uh my bad Suzy, let's go to the Oyster Bar instead."

I guess people who are rich can throw around 60 dollars here and there with the promise of a tolerable night of music. Tonight I believe they will go home with a sense of money well spent because Nouvelle Vague are a hard band not to like. Sexy Bossa Nova interpretations of punk and new wave classics. The sultry jazzy beats transport Suzy to a bistro in France talking with her imaginary best friend Natalie Portman. Paul really digs hearing some of those underground songs from back in his TCU days. Totally inoffensive , but really fun music. What's not to like? Then again I also enjoyed this when it first came out so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home