Thursday, September 23, 2010

It List: Thursday


One amazing soul show tonight and three boring rock n' roll shows. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings won't win any points for originality but they do make some of the best straight up, heartfelt soul music produced today. What I appreciate most about their style is that there is no attempt to contemporize the music or make it sound fresh. No need to. Soul music is about the soul and they pull it off. At least it touches the black little corner of my pericardium that used to be the resting place of my soul. Everybody and their dog has tried to convince me that Torche is the PERFECT blending of pop and metal but I just don't hear it. Just because a song is under three minutes doesn't automatically classify it as a pop song. Give me Napalm Death any day of the week. See you at The Palladium!

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings | Grace Potter & The Nocturnals (Palladium)

Torche | House Harkonnen | White Mountain (The Nightmare)

Hellbastard | Dissent | Scavenger (Rubber Gloves)

Kings Of Leon | Black Keys | The Whigs (Superpages Center)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home