Wednesday, October 06, 2010

It List: Wednesday




Light Pollution | Prince Rama | Sleep ∞ Over (Hailey's)

Highly recommended. Thanks to whoever booked this for Hailey's, I remember a time when line-ups like this were not a once and awhile thing there. Light Pollution's stab at the ever crowding electronic dream pop genre is a little too confused for me right now, sounding stuck between Matthew and the Arrogant Sea's thematic avant-folk and Fur's intergalactic ambiance. The other two performers tonight, Prince Rhama and Sleep ∞ Over, are two of the more exciting examples of what the genre has to offer right now. Prince Rhama's approach is very lavish and distinct incorporating spooky world music flourishes along with a disregard for song continuity. Even though they are off the wall the trio retain an organic interplay that sounds like a perfect fit for a live performance. I have been digging the stuff Sleep ∞ Over are coming out with mainly because their songs feel like songs and not just electronic meditations. There is not a whole lot of material by the group out there right now but I look forward to seeing what they have in store for the future. Of course a show this rad has to happen on a school night and when I am broke.

Rock Bottom DJ Party w/ DJ Sarah Jaffe (Rubber Gloves)

Vampire Weekend | Beach House | The Very Best (The Palladium)

I think the thing I dislike most about Beach House is that Victoria Legrand is the niece of one of my musical heroes, film composer Michel Legrand. What a waste. I had never heard The Very Best before today but they sound like an indie pop Baha Men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home