Friday, April 28, 2006

Rose County Fair @ Doublewide Saturday (by Taunto)


I like to tell people that I’m a fantastic foosball player. And they believe me, because I’m so good at everything else. I tend to boast, to challenge and bet money. But I always lose. When my reverse-hustle is played out, I’m left feeling frustrated and resentful, and my opponent is usually slightly richer. In this same fashion, I like to tell people I am a fan of local music. I brag and proudly promote shows and bands that seem promising, but at the end of most of these shows I drag myself home, defeated, discourage and broke. And yet, despite all reason, every once in a while I win. It’s usually an accident, or that the guy I’m playing is too drunk, but on rare occasions I win.

Rose County Fair is like that one perfect, fluke game of foosball. They restore my faith in local music and they keep me coming back. Too often, I see bands bog themselves down in tricks and noise, using inappropriate gimmicks to cover up what they don’t know. But Rose County doesn’t use gimmicks; they don’t need to. John Pedigo is a great songwriter, and although he usually shelves himself under novelty acts or rockabilly, with Rose County Fair he finally gets to spread out and write the songs he’s always wanted to. He also finally has a band that can step up to all his interesting changes and really fill them out. They don’t do anything flashy and they are nostalgic in tone, often reminding me of how good it felt to steal my dad’s Miller High Life in 8th grade. At the same time they sound fresh, reminding me of the first time I heard Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. They might branch out and noodle around if need be, but all at once they spin the handles and get the “ball in the hole,” if you know what I mean.

I think a lot of people might assume they are too alt-something to be considered a viable contribution to the scene, but if that’s the case, they’d be overlooking our own Dallas Alex Chilton. That’s right. I said it. I’m comparing Rose County Fair to Big Star. What are you gonna do about it? I’ll tell you what I’M gonna do, I’m gonna challenge YOU to come out to the Doublewide on Saturday night. I promise you’ll get one really good game in before [Daryl] plays and you lose all your money, get pissed off and go home.

(STONEDRANGER NOTE: I was skeptical of Rose County Fair, as I am of most of Taunto's recommendations, until I heard the first song on their Myspace page. You should give it a listen. )

1 Comments:

Blogger stonedranger said...

we were gonna use gorilla and bear, but you stole them from us. And just because you started your blog long before we started ours don't make it right.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home