Friday, June 23, 2006

Heavy Rotation


Here are some records we have been listening to lately at WSJR HQ, with a couple MP3s just for you:








Brightblack Morning Light s/t (this is a fantastic record that is pretty perfect in almost any setting. I'm sure that some people will find it boring, but I think it recalls Spacemen 3, Primal Scream, and elements of jazz and soul. What the fuck is boring about that?) "Friend of Time" MP3

Johann Johannsson Dis (Christ this is a really beautiful album. Check out the way this track goes from soft bedroom pop fragile to bold psyche rockin and back again in a completely seamless sequence.) "Efripides Og Nearipidel" MP3

Sly and the Family Stone Theres a Riot Going on (Listen to this record if you want to find out how dark a summer can be. And also where Ariel Pink came from.)

My Bloody Valentine Glider EP, Tremolo EP, You Made Me Realise EP (A lot of the stuff on these EPs doesn't sound much like Loveless, but sometimes thats a good thing considering what a powerful yet draining experience listening to Loveless can be. These also reveal another side of the band that is compelling in its own right.) "Slow" MP3
Feathers s/t

Thom Yorke The Eraser

Six Organs of Admittance The Sun Awakens ( yet another strong effort) "Bless Your Blood" MP3

Excepter KA

Joy Division Closer (Oh, have you guys ever heard of this band before? Seriously, its honestly been a couple years since I sat down and listened to Joy Division, but I started listening to Closer again a couple weeks ago and it now blows me away even more than it used to. I don't know how its possible, but it does, especially opener "Atrocity Exhibition.")

Defensive Listening's List:

Wuhling Extra Six
Orange Juice The Glasgow School
Finally Punk "Missile" (from their Myspace page)
Loincloth "Church Burntings" (from Southern Lord seven inch)
Delta 5 Singles and Sessions
Nikki Sudden/ Jacobites The Ragged School
Massacre Killing Time
Ancient Chinese Secret Caveat Emptor


(we were gonna post more MP3s, but file sharing is being a bitch today. If bands, labels or management want any of these songs removed, please email weshotjr@yahoo.com and we will take them down immediately. )

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Swallow and it's segue on the Tremolo EP is one of the most awe-inspiring things I've ever heard.

4:44 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

agreed.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a 'hell yes' for theres a riot goin on!

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Six Organs story - an impromptu Ben Chamy set at Dan's Silverleaf last summer. Everyone thought Six Organs was headlining at Hailey's that night, but alas, he played first. Several folks asked him to play on Dan's patio, so a low key, shimmering set on a breezy summer evening with about 15 folks sitting around drinking Tecate. He said it was his favorite show on the tour and he really seemed relaxed and into everything. I have that evening recorded somewhere on my handy little handheld cassette thingy with the badass condenser mic!

let me know if you are interested and i'll try to dig it out and send it to you. so few folks seem to know or care it seems.

7:27 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

Thats awesome. I'd love to hear it.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately Ben Chasny is not my brother!! Or my band would fuckin have it made already!!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i kinda realized that ater seeing it! funny how i typed this after replying to you on something or other on here!

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i accidentally typed chamy (michael chamy - idi*amin) instead of chasny.

please feel my full-on shame (i could give you chasny's name any day of the week!).
ok, over it. will dig out tape for both of you after i get unpacked from moving

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think I could pull off a Six Organs cover? I don't.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never say never...

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not joinin the "psyche folk" set anytime soon. Of course, it will only take one more listen to my Roy Montgomery records for me to change my mind.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny, but i could totally see you amongst some of the psyche folkS (don't believe the media hype, but you know better than that.) the 'new weird america' (which, by the way, 'new weird denton' dude ripped off from wire mag who gave the movement that name)is a lot more diverse and weird than devendra and cohorts. even chasny's much weirder, charlambides,etc kick in the psyche and take out the folk is more like it.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah Chasny has done some real cool stuff, but some of his recent efforts did veer toward the "pop-psyche-folk" of Davendra (I guess) ... weird stupid labels!!! Anyway, I like some of his stuff, some does nothing for me. That is my crowd though I guess.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally punk rules

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home