Monday, June 05, 2006

It List: Monday 6/5/06

If you're one of the neo folkies around town, you might want to check out:

1. Sarah Reddington/Dusty Rhodes and the River Band/ Cartright (Rubber Gloves-Denton): Sarah Reddington plays pretty straightforward, summer breezy folk rock/country pop tunes that are actually quite warm and familiar sounding without ever getting cheesy or overly derivative. This is tough to pull off typically. Oh yeah, they have a good singer too.... another DFWd rarity. Dusty Rhodes is pretty good I suppose, but the fact that they are from Anaheim kinda makes me react in that "this Salsas made in New York City" kind of way. They're like a country Squirrel Nut Zippers or something, but better than that might make them sound. Probably worth checking out. Cartrights Cartright, and we're down.

2. Berry (J&Js Denton): Small touring band that plays slightly noisy, slow, sleepy and melodic indie dreampop. If that makes you puke, then listen to their songs, because they will probably make you unpuke. And although I'm not sure how unpuking works, I am sure that you will think this band is good.

5 Comments:

Blogger tania said...

another monday event:
dj cee pee @ the cavern.
good stuff.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto on Berry. They played with Teenage Symphony at the Cavern and were great. Their CD is good too.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah Reddington is one of the best ones around! instant classics

7:40 PM  
Blogger FrequencyDown said...

The Sarah Reddington folks are good friends, but since I was broke and since I've seen them quite a bit (even their intimate graveyard acoustic show) I opted to go to J&J's.
I really enjoyed Berry's performance.
I'd really like to hear more

Hopefully they'll come through Denton again sometime soon

2:22 AM  
Blogger FrequencyDown said...

I won't be able to make the MC show. But I hope people show up, because it should be a good show!

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home