Thursday, June 22, 2006

It List: Thursday 6/22/06

Shit. I don't know what Beck was like at Snorekia last night (I heard it was good and that there were performances conducted by dolls), and I haven't heard much about The Walkmen show, but neither of them could have been BETTER than Man Man last night, because they were completely lights out at the Cavern. Although I wish it would have been just a bit louder (a common complaint at the ol' Cavern), the stage presence of each and every face-painted member of Man Man, along with their complex pounding rhythms and vocals that somehow sounded as good live as they do on the record, made it one of the better shows I have seen this year (still can't touch Ariel Pink, The Books, or Liars). The house was mostly packed (unfortunately with a whole lotta men, man), but the crowd's energy was pretty high level for a Dallas show (usually takes an out-of-towner to inspire that), and Man Man didn't miss a beat all night. It was one of those sweaty, high energy, bratty and infectious live shows where the band LOOKED completely chaotic but somehow managed to play really tight all night long (Undoing of David Wright is pretty good at pulling that trick off too). I hope Sonic Youth is HALF that fun on Saturday.

Of course, as is often the story in Dallas, one night of high profile shows is followed by a night of relatively few noteworthy shows:

1. DJ G 80's Night (Hailey's): Every time I see this guy spin, I hear at least 10 tracks I know and love, and at least 10 that I've never heard but make me say "does anyone know who this is?" Most people that read this blog have probably checked him out at some point, but if you haven't, you should head to Denton to see what you're missing. You'll hear a lot of rare 80's electro, great mid to late 80's Chicago house, some Italo, etc.

2. Zoo (Cavern Upstairs): A night of mostly great music along with hard to find music videos and other interesting visuals. You'll go for the sounds but stay for the sights, because the videos are as carefully selected as the music here. You should try it, because everyone needs somewhere to go on Thursday nights once they have realized that hipster karaoke is the beginning of the end for you and your friends.

3. Strange Boys/ Tah Dahs/ Sparklepussy Barbie (Gypsy Tea Room): Strange Boys and Tah Dahs are good bands that you should go see tonight if you haven't seen them 5,000 times. But I have, and I'm taking a break for a while. And I can't believe I typed "Sparklepussy Barbie." I'm never doing that again unless its in a "Warning: members of the Deathray Davies" kind of way.


Also, I forgot:

Your Heart Breaks/ Karl Blau (Rubber Gloves): Some of that old school, lo-fi indie pop stuff that might remind you that you still kind of like pop music. Is K Records retro cool now?

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When he's not spinning, DJ G is really funny!

4:00 PM  
Blogger complete tool said...

DJG made me a pizza once. for real.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"men, man"

HELL yes.

4:14 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

I like the Funny Police.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do strange boys and tah dahs play all the time or is it just me?

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...everyone needs somewhere to go on Thursday nights once they have realized that hipster karaoke is the beginning of the end for you and your friends.

Oh shit! This is so sad and true.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that a joke 2:18?

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just an honest beat cop trying to support my lifepartner.

4:27 PM  
Blogger complete tool said...

holy shit karl blau likes denton

"Some points I look forward to are:... Denton, TX I've been a fan of many Denton bands--Midlake, Lift to Experience, Explosions in the Sky"

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beck was sweet! jamie lidell was entertaining but i guess not my thing. really really good voice though. the puppet show was fuckin sweet too, with the puppets looking just like the band members, clothes and all. and when beck did some solo stuff, the band sat at a table on stage and ate salad. he also did an acoustic cover of "do you realize?" by der flaming lips. and they shot a short film with the puppets going around dallas where jfk was shot and where the dallas cowboys play, saying such gems as "the dallas cowboy cheerleaders make me wet."
he opened with "devil's haircut" and ended with "e-pro."
nokia will always suck balls though. hard.

4:33 PM  
Blogger pimplomat said...

The Lovely Feathers were quite lovely, as well. Nice silver speedos the keyboardist sported.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who the hell is karl blau cheese .... maybe he only likes Bella Union bands

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

talkdemonic was good but not as engaging as they would have been had they not had so much going on in prerecorded backing tracks. their songs were short though, and that was their saving grace.

not sure how well richard swift went over here. i enjoyed it but the ragtime piano, a bass player who looked straight out of the beach boys and some akward dancing got mixed reviews from crowds afterwards. his solo set at good records was nice.

the walkmen seemed tamer and less enthusiastic this time around. i've seen them several times and always look forward to it. maybe its the long stretch of road they've covered or maybe they'd not drank enough, but there wasn't enough squealing screams and volume for me this time around. the band seemed to lack the emotion i was used to, just sort of going through the motions of playing yet another show on the road. the new songs do, as always with the walkmen, sound a million times better live. they won't top sonic youth this weekend though.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the only one not going to Sonic Youth because it's too goddamn expensive?

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean, If SY only played once every five years I could understand ... but why would I pay $30 to see them for the 17th time? And I haven't skipped once since the Neil Young Goo trek ... oh, and that one in Austin when they got their gear ripped off ... I was out state then.

But I did get to talk to Lee on the phone once

http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2002-08-02/music_feature4.html

6:32 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

I am bummed about having to miss Sonic Youth. I accidentally booked a gig that night, but I really would not have 30 bones to see them even if I didn't.

I heard the Bonnaroo set was 90% new album. Maybe that was just Bonnaroo. You never know with them. I'm sure it will be a cool show. If Had the money I would go anyways.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the past few times they've played nearly all new album material. this one seems like its a bit shorter though, so maybe that'll leave time for older stuff.
30 bucks is a lot, there aren't many bands i'd pay that much for. but for SY, i will.

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"squealing screams and volume for me this time around"


....you're talking about THE WALKMEN? they SCREAM and use a lot of volume???

is that a joke? any time i've seen them they were NOT any different than they were live, they deffinately weren't any better, and they certaintly didn't entertain the crowd with "screams" or loud noises of any variety.... just a dude in a dress t singing his songs. so to me, that makes 3 shows 'round here of them being "out of sorts" (or, more likely... exactly w/in their sorts)

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry. weren't any better than they were ON ALBUM... not "werent any better live than they were live", that wouldn't even make sense.


basicly, what i mean is... the walkmen were LESS enthusiastic this time around? was the lead singer checking his e-mail on stage this time, or what?

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, checkin his myspace, duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no doi.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first few times I saw The Walkmen (Hailey's and Emo's a while ago) they played with such ferocity that I told myself I should make the effort to see them whenever possible. This show was lacking even in comparison to time before with Built to Spill at The Gypsy, where everything was louder, felt a little more our of control, and certainly more enthusiastic. Maybe it was the venue, or where I was standing, but I think it was probably just an off night.

I can't speak for your experiences, anon 8:23, and I'd be the first to admit they're no Lightning Bolt or Melt Banana or what have you as far as intensity, but I've been impressed by The Walkmen before and I was let down this time.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fair enough. i guess i've just been let down both times


the show w/ built to spill just seemed lame. the drummer has enthusiasm, but that's about it.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fair enough. i guess i've just been let down both times


the show w/ built to spill just seemed lame. the drummer has enthusiasm, but that's about it.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home