Tuesday, April 03, 2007

It List: Tuesday 4/3/07

Peter And The Wolf/Deep Snapper/Artless Fiction/Cory Derden (Club Dada): Tonight's show with headliner Peter and The Wolf find's singer-songwriter Red Hunter in the beginning stages of a six week tour. So he'll finally be living up to the "nomadic" image we've heard so much about. I was starting to think being a nomad just entailed hanging out in Austin. In that case, I know a lot of nomads. Expect a set with exotic instruments he may or may not know how to play. Cory Derden hails from Houston and I was surprised by the refreshing simplicity of some of the banjo and accordion on his sample tracks. Some of it was memorable and well written enough to not appear just tossed in for faux-rustic Americana accents that people usually throw at you to cover up the fact that they can't really write one damn song. The sped-up outro section to the track "On My Own" is especially good as is the song in general. The other two groups playing tonight couldn't be any more different from the rest of the bill, which is a concept I usually support but this might be pushing it. Artless Fiction is a screamy, tough-sounding group that's described themselves as experimental hardcore, though I don't know if that's the first thing I would blurt out upon hearing them. I won't blurt out the first thing I thought when I heard them because that would be unprofessional. Their screaming style and super-serious attitude might be a little too dude-rock for me, but maybe it's better live. Deep Snapper is a very tight, concise rock group with influences ranging from the articulate shout of Mike Watt to the cutting, distorted rudeness of Shooting At Unarmed Men. Very good.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

argh, i wish i could go to dada tonight!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Set times are:
8 - Deep Snapper
9 - Artless Fiction
10 - Cory Derden
11 - Peter And The Wolf

This week & next are the last 2 Callithump "New Music Tuesday" shows for a while.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you like p&tw on record, nothing will kill the joy of listening to it more than seeing him butcher it live.

6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

does peter & the wolf have a full band tonight?

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's happening with NMT after that?

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The same thing that happened to Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday in Dallas. If you want to hear something new and underground, you'll have to hope a DJ plays it for you.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for better or for worse i suspect joshua radin will pull in more people than your new band would.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

842 here:

I wasn't slamming Dj's. My point is that there is no live music on those nights, at least that caters to this demographic on a weekly basis. The only thing going on those nights are Dj's, and maybe if you ask nice they can play you records of small unknown bands from Nebraska or Boston (but I doubt it). So I'm sorry for enjoying the act of discovering bands in a live environment.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deep Snapper is great. Features Pat from the late great Birth to Burial. Worth supporting for sure.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's okay to compare bands.... but why compare a band to SHOOTING AT UNARMED MEN, whom, i believe, have only released one 7". and you could have just said MCLUSKY....

6:41 PM  
Blogger Defensive Listening said...

quote: "it's okay to compare bands.... but why compare a band to SHOOTING AT UNARMED MEN, whom, i believe, have only released one 7". and you could have just said MCLUSKY...."

Where do I begin? For starters, your belief that they have released one 7" is wrong. They actually have two full-lengths. Just like Joy Division. And that was certainly enough for them to influence other bands, wouldn't you agree?

Now the reason I didn't say Mclusky, is because I think that Shooting At Unarmed Men is a better band. I wanted to compare Deep Snapper to the band I liked more.

I had to actually be somewhat sure of these things before I typed them. You have no idea how much I think some of these things out before I do them. I highly recommend it.

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home