Monday, October 25, 2010

It List: Monday


Aw, is this the last time We Shot JR will ever tell you about Cool Out at The Cavern? We had some good times at Cool Out. I remember discussing "Where The Scene Was At" and "What makes the perfectly bloggable MP3?" and "Why does that guy from The Observer always have that little notepad with him?" This is all while fielding requests to kiss Thatcher on the cheek. Cool Out is like so many other things around here:

1. People make fun of you for doing it.
2. The people who made fun of you wind up doing it themselves.
3. It becomes such an institution that nobody would question it either way.
4. Once it's gone, people will miss it.

I don't know if we'll be so lucky. I have no problem with Cool Out. I never have. I always heard more disco and soul and Danceteria tracks than anything that resembled "Blog Haus" during those tumultuous years.

Oh, I almost forgot. Speaking of the scene and since you're saying goodbye to us, I wanted to give a long-delayed goodbye to a local scene legend. Yes, this is a tribute to someone I came to know only through the wonderful world of the We Shot JR Twitter account. It's Dustin Hollywood, the local party photographer who moved to actual Hollywood. When he lived in Dallas, he worked for Helloooooo Dot Com and he also worked for Rockwell Collins, the defense contractor. You can read about this in the Dallas Morning News article linked above.
He recently did a remarkable feature with the fashion blog Style Like U, where he explained his largely organic jewelry style and it's worth checking out as well.

I always found that dichotomy of Hollywood's photography and the lifestyle it represents with the sometimes conservative tone in his tweets fascinating. I have friends who work for Rockwell Collins; but they tend to be housewives and family men, never a Dallas party photog. You might say that in his time around here, Hollywood was kind of like "The Juan Williams of Dallas Nightlife Photography," you know, kind of the way that Williams was the most conservative man on NPR, or now the most liberal guy at Fox News. Makes your head spin.

Speaking of NPR, I wanted to share with you some of Dustin Hollywood's most entertaining Tweets, in which he addresses National Public Radio. Read a few of these and you tell me if Dallas hasn't lost one of its most fascinatingly complex talents:

Five Classics From Dustin Hollywood's Twitter:

1. "FUCK NPR"

2. "I know it's wrong for me to say this but people with wheelchairs really annoy me."

3. "WHAT THE HELL, this fucking wheel chair man just ran over my foot like three times without flinching"

4. (Retweet): "AGREED RT @ninelleefremova: Homeless people are human litter. #justsaying"


5. "I gave $5 to a homeless veteran. They are the only people I believe should never be homeless!!"


ALSO:

Envy/La Dispute/Touche Amore/And So I Watch You From Afar (Rubber Gloves)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dating sites where many people online http://loveepicentre.com/map/ radioactive dating fossil
cafe internet dating [url=http://loveepicentre.com/testimonials/]singles dating free dating kjaerlighet[/url] adult dating club
online dating and services [url=http://loveepicentre.com/faq/]dating st cloud mn[/url] average time of dating before engagement [url=http://loveepicentre.com/user/mystangel/]mystangel[/url] why dating magazines

3:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
Any tips?

Here is my site: %anchor_text%

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home