Monday, June 12, 2006

It List: Monday 6/12/06




tonight:


1. Tapes N Tapes/ Figurines/ Cold War Kids (Gypsy Tea Room Tea Room): I know its Monday and everything, but you might want to get your rocks off while you can, because this appears to be the big show of the week. I'm going to go ahead and guess that the readers of this blog don't need an introduction to Tapes N Tapes, and probably don't want to read another blog post about how good they are. Thats cool, cuz I really don't feel like writing one, even though I should say that I have started to dig their record quite a bit, despite my initial skepticism. Moving on, The Figurines are one of those bands that make we wonder whether or not I'm supposed to like them. On the one hand, they are from Denmark, have a "the" in their name (sooo 2001), and kind of look cute and fashionable, which makes me feel ugly and behind the times. They're also friends with The Cribs on their Myspace page, which takes away some additional points. But shit, I got pretty hooked on their songs a few days ago during my pre-show download n listen, and I'll be damned if they aren't writing some of the best punk-influenced jangle pop on either side of the Atlantic right now. Come to think of it, they might be the only band that does what I just said in a way that doesn't suck. Think Buzzcocks if they had been friends with Wayne Coyne. And Cold War Kids, well... I'm just not that impressed with them. At first they reminded me of Maroon 5, and then of the French Kicks, and then Jeff Buckley in Strokes cover band, and then I pretty much gave up. In fairness, I suppose they are better than some of those bands, but I'm just too bored with stuff like this to really give a shit. Sorry. Based on the records, though, I think Tapes and Figurines will be well worth the ten bucks or whatever.

And for those that don't like paying for stuff, you can catch the Figurines at Good Records at 6. Give em a listen.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having been in bands with shitty names for nearly 1000 years, I feel I am qualified to say that "Tapes n' Tapes" is a fucking awful name. I don't like the way it makes my nose feel when I say it.

That is all.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, it sounds like a really bad idea for a music shop (tapes n tapes).

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have the "Stay Sick" tape by the Cramps. I think I liked it more because it was one of 2 Cramps tapes I had, than it was actually good.

6:42 AM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

I used to love the Cramps... its Bad Music for Bad people, after all.

I had a Cramps tape that was released in the early 90's (I was late on the whole CD thing), and I think I also thought it was good simply because it was the first one I had.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you on CWK, Stoned Ranger... I have actually made many efforts to enjoy them, but... shit.. You may have hit it on the head with the Maroon 5 thing. The only thing indie about this band is the guitarists clothes (saying that doesnt make me gay does it? It was an ironic statement right?)

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the cramps kick effing ass.

"psychodelic idols" is awesome

so is the track "new kinda kick" (or "some new kinda kick"... or "new kick"... what-the-fuck-ever it's called)

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any mini-reviews of the show? Going to see these guys Thursday at an all-ages venue in Tucson, and all 3 bands are on the bill. Show starts just after 9pm, but I'm stressing about the Riverboat Gamblers show, and they're set to go on at another venue at 11:30 sharp. Arrrrg! Just wondering how long the whole show took.

Thanks!

PS Who said the southwest sucked for shows in the summer?

2:55 PM  
Blogger Eric Grubbs said...

My review of the show is here:

http://themeparkexperience.blogspot.com/2006/06/skeleton.html

3:31 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

cool eric.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home