Thursday, October 26, 2006

It List: Thursday 10/26/06

Gotta be a little short today, but here are the only shows you care about tonight:

Joan Baez is at the Lakewood Theater tonight. What the hell will that be like? I don't even like Joan Baez really, so I'm not sure if I even care to answer the question. Just thought it was noteworthy that she would be in the hood tonight.

In Denton, experimental black metal/ jazz stuff is going down at House of Tinnitus tonight as they welcome Ettrick/A Fail Association/ Boy Scout Manual. I don't have links for the other two bands, but from the sound of things, Ettrick is going to blow your fucking ears off anyway. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Stuff has apparently been getting started around 9pm there, but maybe one of the people involved can give you a more specific time in the comments section.

And if you're going to be up in Denton tonight, you can also check out Chin Up Chin Up/ Oxford Collapse/ The Demings at Rubber Gloves. I haven't been too wowed with anything Chin Up Chin Up has put out thus far, but they're certainly nothing to spit at. However, the real draw here is Oxford Collapse, who have just realeased a really great pop rock record that will kill live. I've seen them live, and they kill it. I have heard rumors that they have overtaken Chin Up as the headliner on this tour, but I can't confirm that. Guess you should probably show up early to be safe.

Dj G will also be spinning at Hailey's up in Denton.

And you can also check out the Zoo video DJs upstairs at The Cavern and late 80's/early 90's hip hop at the Slip Inn.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

on the tinnitus bill:

a fail association has dropped off because he needs to take his kid to a baseball game. we haven't replaced him yet, so I don't know...

will probably start around nine, maybe just two acts...

and boy scout manual is members of Notes from Underground.

that is all!

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew Michael will be filling in the spot for A fail Association... prob start around 9 Andrew M will play first followed by Boy scout Manual then Ettrick...

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should probably show up early for most shows. If you're going to make the effort to go out and then spend $5 to get in, might as well catch at least a second of the opening bands that nobody likes. nothing about this show, just an idea.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy Scout Manual = Justin Lemmons (guitar) & Mike Forbes (sax) from Notes From Underground ... Mike is also in iDi*amin and the Zanzibar Snails ... actually Justin is sometimes in the Snails as well ... but as a twopiece, Boyscout Manual is pure freeform shredding, skronking brutality. Wild abandon, texturally fascinating, razor jagged, and recklessly punk as fuck.
... and they're LOUD!

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds hot. man, I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M MISSING IT RIGHT NOW

12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprisingly good show last night at Dada.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the Joan Baez show with a female friend. When she asked me to go I just didn't have the heart to say, "No." Plus, scenes from "Don't Look Back" flashed in my head and so I thought, "Why not?" However, a few days later the fear set in, but later it became resignation to the idea that it would be a "nice time." Which it was.

She didn't do "We Shall Overcome," but she did do Dylan's "With God on Our Side," which I found quite moving and anything but laughable. She also did a couple of Steve Earle songs that were really good -- "Christmas in Washington" (the pAperchAse covered this acoustically on "The Adventure Club" once) and "Jerusalem."

Of course, she did "Diamonds and Rust," which I repeatedly reminded my friend, probably to the point of annoyance, that "Judas Priest covered this one." She opened with "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and, at the end, much of the crowd did the "na na na" part at the lyrical prompt of "...and all of the people were singing."

She closed the entire show with an a capella version of "Amazing Grace" and much of the crowd sang along, which was really nice. Without a doubt, she has a great voice.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pippie's?
hunks?
fay's?
gaggots?
baez!
yea, well, strident zend to you, sir.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can someone please put down the lame horse that is "Amazing Grace" already? I have nothing against Joan Baez, but that song needs to go away forever.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry I just hate that song, and everyone covers it. It's pretty much the measurement of singing artists of yore, with how well they can do a version of that song. No one will ever beat Urethra Franklin's version, so just give it up. I think they should change songs. I think ace of spades would do.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone see Oxford Collapse? And were they any good? Their record left me a little cold, but I hear they're good live.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home