Tuesday, May 29, 2007

No It List Today

It's been a while since the last time I wasn't able to find anything to do on a given night, but I guess nights like this are just what happens after a blow out concert weekend like the one we just had. I honestly had a really good time at everything I went to:

Morrissey: I wasn't expecting much for Morrissey- I'm not a huge fan of his solo work for starters, and the prospect of watching a middle aged guy sing snobby love songs isn't exactly appealing on paper. In fact, the main reason I went to the show at all was because I wanted to see if Morrissey fans were as crazy as I had heard they were. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover what a great performer the guy really is. His voice and onstage energy are still highly impressive (voice sounds just about as good live as it does on record), and his band sounded fantastic throughout the show. It had been a while since I'd been to a big stage "concert event" like this, and I have to say that it was a nice change of pace. We'll have more on this show soon, but I will say that Palladium annoyed me a lot less than I thought it would, five dollar Shiners and no smoking policy notwithstanding.

Glass Candy: The new Art Club venue is worlds better than Avenue Arts as far as layout and atmosphere, with a real stage and a split floorplan design that makes the place seem more like a venue and less like some room with a bunch of bad art inside. Glass Candy sounded great inside the small venue, with Johnny Jewel's tight live bass carrying the strong syth disco rhytms and Ida's vocals coming through as more dramatic and noticeably bigger than they sound on recording. The whole thing had a dance party atmosphere to it rather than a "stand around at a rock show" vibe, which played a big role in making the show a success... what Johnny said in our interview the other day was true: Glass Candy played to the atmosphere in the room, and the crowd played a big role in the show.

Animal Collective: We'll have more on this show later too, but I'll just tell you that it was, in my opinion, the best show I've seen in Dallas this year. Period.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you bet your ass it was the best show you've seen in dallas period and it's gotta be because of sir richard bishop and i didn't even go.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nevermind i just went back and read about your it-list from this show and you didn't even mention the total fucking badassness of sir richard bishop and his veteran career as a musician. whatever. get schooled bitches. richard bishop is probably one of the most important players of your time.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Avenue Arts was a horrible place. I'm glad it is gone.

4:52 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

gosh 450, I'm really sorry. You mustbe totally offended.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should really quit fucking smoking.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well not him alone is the jesus of music but his band was. him alone is like, i don't know. a glimpse of some magic that once was around.

5:10 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

well I feel dumb for missing his connection with Sun City Girls... and I suppose it's fair to call me out on it. It's just that I'm sick of hearing about it.

Have you ever waited until the last minute to finish something and then realized that you actually didn't have that last minute to get it done? That's what happened with part of the Weekender on Friday.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get schooled bitches? o.k. oldie but moldie, get in yer fuckin' pine box, will ya? hopefully there'll be room for dick bishop in there w/ya... faggots.

5:15 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

and in response to 510's comment: I completely agree. I think Sun City Girls are great, and they obviously influenced a lot of bands I like (Indian Jewelry and Sunburned Hand of the Man come to mind). However, Sir Richard Bishop is NOT Sun City Girls. His set was very good, and he's obviously an extremely talented guitar player. It just wasn't that exciting to me.

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

animal collective live = kraftwerk as fuck!

5:17 PM  
Blogger zak said...

Damn, I failed to check the start times for the AC show so we missed the first half. WTF is up with starting that early? New noise regulations or something due to the proximity of residential housing? I don't remember the last show I saw there starting that early. That pissed me off.

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

saw sunburned had of the man and indian jewelry @ rgrs. just saying.

5:54 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

me too.

6:27 PM  
Blogger schmancy said...

I think a lot of venues have shows ending by midnight in response the the crime wave a few years back. I quite like the larger venues getting out early because it gives me a chance to catch smaller club shows that usually last until 2a! except in melt banana's case last week. wtf. off the stage before 1am?! damnit.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ty. We already apologized to SR. Read the threads from the bottom please!

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just to clear it up i am 4:50 and 5:10 i just didn't want to keep typing my name over and over. i've only seen him once and it was with SCG, i've heard him on a live radio show and thought it was awesome. but i don't know i'm not in any place for critiquing a show i wasn't even at really, just a big fan of r bishop.
what do you mean you already apologized to SR? from the bottom? i'm so confused now.

and in response to 5:15
fresh prince? is that you? drop'n F-Bombs? wooooo. dirty. don't know if i can keep up with your style. damn. watch out for this guy. why are so anon? you could be famous all over the internet with your burn skillz. hot.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think AC just always play early shows. Guess they don't like staying out late.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooh i get it MC you were talking about the comments section of the It-List corresponding with the AC/SirRB show. ok. i read that shit and i get it now. sorry i've had a long and disturbing weekend. got it straight now.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the band's new digital 8-track crashed in marfa the night before the granada show. it contained all of their samples and what not for the new material. what we saw wasn't what they intended to show us. they had to totally revamp the show on their drive to dallas from marfa. no practice. they were wingin' it up there. we loved it, and the crowd was awesome.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home