Thursday, November 12, 2009

It List: Thursday

Regina Spektor (Nokia Theater): I know I'm really supposed to hate Regina Spektor, but I just don't. She kind of sounds like a more Billboard-friendly Joanna Newsom mixed with the cocky tendency to do revisionist versions of classic songs on piano; something that many piano players and keyboardists tend to do, and I'm thinking of everyone from Tori Amos to Sean Kirkpatrick. Some people pull it off beautifully, some don't. Spektor is somewhere in the middle. Even though I know this is pretty much music for children, I don't mind it that much.

Cha Cha's 6th Annual R&R For Charity Gala with Bridges & Blinking Lights/Heart Eyes Open/Boom Boom Box/Cocky Americans (Double Wide)

Billingham's Defense System (Fallout Lounge)

80's Night With DJ G (Hailey's)

Car Stereo Wars/Mikey Rodge (The Cavern): I didn't realize that the Car Stereo Wars mastermind, Chris Rose, had moved to Brooklyn. He just played Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin last weekend, so that might explain why he's still in town. He was once one of the most known well-known DJ's in Texas, climbing to the top during the mashup craze. On a somewhat related note, it looks like there is no Top Notch tonight, since Sober is out of town.

Son Volt/Peter Bruntnell (Granada Theater)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home