Tuesday, March 23, 2010

not new music


Big Star - Live at WLIR Radio, Long Island, 1974


No time for the usual long-winded background info today, but I'm certain that most music fans that read this site are familiar with Alex Chilton's work, so it's not really that necessary. I just wanted to share this in the wake of his death, an event that has affected me much more than I ever though it would have. It's not that I'm some Super Fan of his or anything; hell, I don't even own any of his solo records, but I do believe that the three Big Star records are life changers, whether subtle or profound, for nearly everybody that hears them and that's more than you can ever ask for from an artist.

This recording was heavily bootlegged for years after it's taping before Rykodisc released it officially in 1992. It's live to two track at a radio station, so it doesn't sound great at times, but the acoustic section in the middle of the set, which includes a killer cover of Loudon Wainwright's "Motel Blues," more than makes up for the lackluster mix of the earlier songs.

This is by no means a definitive recording, just an interesting, and at times very pleasing, alternative to the albums that many of us love so much. Enjoy!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home