Monday, February 20, 2006

Supergrass @ Gypsy Tea Room




Saturday night's Supergrass show was, well, adequate. I got to hear some of the hits that I knew and loved, was forced to hear new stuff that I didn't like, and was left pondering whether or not the whole experience was worth fifteen dollars, especially considering the mind numbing cold that I faced walking down Commerce St. to get there. The first half of the show absolutely bored me to tears, mostly due to the fact that the band stuck to playing songs off their new album Road To Ruen, which some have called their "mature" record but I consider to be quite bland compared to their earlier releases. Besides, who wants maturity from goddamn Supergrass anyway? Aren't they supposed to be brats?

Things picked during the second half of the show when they started to play some of their earlier favorites, but even that was little more than merely satisfying. Although the band played many of the songs a little slow and was sloppy in spots, it wasn't really their fault. The whole experience actually reminded me of the Pitchfork article about the new Lollapalooza, or what they termed the "Alternative Rock Hall of Fame." I felt like I was there for the same reasons that my parents might go to an Eagles or Rolling Stones concert, even if Supergrass is still putting out decent music while the other two bands haven't not been horrible in decades. I was there to hear songs that I used to like a lot, songs that while still good just aren't part of my current rock n' roll experiences. I was there, at least in part, to relive the past. If you went, I'm guessing that you had at least a somewhat similar motivation. If Supergrass released In it for the Money this year, I doubt I would give it much of a listen and I wonder if many of you would either, since its really not anything new or exciting. Hearing that album at the tail end of the mid 90's Britpop thing and being 16 or 17 at the time both played a part in my love for that album, and my attitudes and experiences in 2006 would surely play the same kind of roll, even if they would in fact lead to a different result. I still like listening to the old Supergrass stuff, but I can't help but suspect that nostalgia plays a large part in that experience. Not that its really a bad thing per se, but its just strange to realize that I am probably old enough to want to attend what essentially seemed to be a "Greatest Hits" tour by a band that initially became popular at a time when I was old enough to like them. Supergrass probably isn't the best example of this considering that they put out one of their best records only four years ago, but I suppose I'm just really dreading the inevitable moment when I hear my friends talking about their Luxury Box tickets for the new Soundgarden reunion tour. Face it, it already happened with the Pixies, and theres no reason not to assume that Frank Black's belly is only the beginning...

7 Comments:

Blogger Airbag1 said...

so what about pilotdrift? this early show BS has to stop. the whole show was over by 11:30 AND i missed pilotdrift because i thought there was no way i could miss them by showing up at 9:30, only to walk in and catch their last song. piss on early shows.

3:55 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

true dat. We missed them as well

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pilotdrift = Pilotshit. The Kid Amnesiac angle has GOT to be tired to more people than just me??

4:24 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

actually, I think you are on target to an extent. I think what pilotdrift has done so far is pretty good, but I am curious to see what else they've got. I see a lot of potential for them to make some really interesting music, but I wouldn't say that they are absolutely amazing or anything just yet. We'll see what happens with them.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Airbag1 said...

Hmm I dont hear a whole lot of radiohead myself, except for maybe a few spots. They're on tour with Supergrass with album reviews in every new music magazine out there....I dont think you can get in that kind of a spot with tired music. I think they are incredible and will only get better as long as they dont go over the top as much (jekyl and hyde suite).

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Pilotdrift... It's hardv to label them as "shit". I DEFINITELY hear the radiohead in there though... BIGTIME.. I think "Airbag1" may actually be radiohead, so I don't want to piss him off... I think PDrift will get better with time.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya know, the killers also get album reviews in "every new music magazine out there" but they aren't the shit.


and black tie dynasty plays just about every major spune productions event.... and they blow ass.

so i don't think that just b/c people are writing about you makes you worth a damn.

their first cd had some shining moments, but i don't get exactly what all the fuss is about.... yet.

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home