Monday, October 09, 2006

It List: Monday 10/9/06

Black Francis/ Kentucky Prophet (Gypsy Tea Room): Ok, so Frank Black. Yeah I know, Pixies Pixies blah blah. I like the Pixies as much as the next person, and probably more. But for some reason, I just haven't cared about a Frank Black solo record since Teenager of the Year, and I'm not sure that I'll start celebrating his post-Pixies work any time soon. Don't know why, but most of his solo stuff just doesn't do it for me. However, I do think there have been some highlights here and there over the past 10 years, and I'm going to see him tonight because I know he puts on a good live show. I don't think he's done anything truly groundbreaking in a long time, but damn it, I love his voice and I just like him. So there you go. And Kentucky Prophet... oh christ. Absolute trainwreck. Avoid this band at all costs.

You can also hit up Jazz night at the Amsterdam bar as well.

10 Comments:

Blogger DTC said...

i did have a thing for cult of ray for like a week.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catfish Haven are playing at Good Records if your into that kinda stuff.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do the Frank Blacks and Neko cases always play here on fucking monday?
It's got to be some kinda conspiracy.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CULT OF RAY RULES! "At the new Morocco / I got kicked in the taco..."

6:07 PM  
Blogger zak said...

You know... I don't even care about the Pixies anymore. I've moved on. Time to get over the whole thing. I could care less about Frank Black. It's all a snoozer for me now.

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

frank black doesn't move at all when he is onstage (he is fat but still) and the people he plays with take no chance at all with the music! they practice too much!

9:19 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

You know, I pretty much feel the same way. I've seen him play live in the past and have enjoyed it, but i can't say that I EVER listen to the Pixies anymore, much less frank black solo.

10:51 PM  
Blogger tania said...

i thought the "do what you want" song was the highlight of the evening.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the whole show sucked. beginning to end.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rather strident zendish....

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home