Monday, March 24, 2008

It List: Monday

Baroness/Young Widows/The Spectacle (Rubber Gloves): Baroness is a very strange band for sure, with sort of a metal sludge meets southern rock meets prog meets (gulp) glam kind of thing going on. I'll admit that I was only able to give the band a quick listen today after I downloaded their latest full length Red Album, but I generally liked what I heard enough to say that it might be worth checking out live, even though I didn't have time to let much of it sink it. But what kind of geek lets metal "sink in" anyway? Just rock that shit.

Audrey Lapraik/RTb2 (Greenhouse): Typically, the thought of going to Greenhouse to watch singer songwriters is about as appealing to me as watching Dirk bust his ankle, but I have to say that I enjoyed a couple tracks from Audrey Lapraik when I listened on her Myspace page last night. Members of Generation Juno might recognize some sort of Kimya Dawson influence in her songs, and it's there for sure, but what caught my ear primarily was Lapraik's voice and vocal delivery, both of which seperate her from the typical local acoustic wankery with a rougher and more interesting presentation that doesn't hide behind a neo country snooze fest. Is that the same thing as saying that someone's voice has "character?" I don't know, but its meant as a compliment. Apparently she's done some recording with Baptist Generals as well, so theres that if you care.

Cool Out (The Cavern)

Jazz (Amsterdam Bar)


Paul Slavens (Dan's Silverleaf)

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warren, Emil and Audrey all kick ass. I would love to see them all tonight. Amazing singer/songwriters.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So does Ryan Becker.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so does yur mom

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard a few of Audrey's tracks and enjoyed them. I just got into Flying Canyon and that is good as well.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Ryan Becker. Is any boring venue on a weeknight safe from you?

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey stonedranger, when'd you get all weak and feeble. giving people compliments and lettin your wang hang out to southern rock metal. man give me drops of your tears cause i'm sure they taste sweet. i want to see your metal hair growing soon.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Warren, Emil and Audrey all kick ass"

if you like them you should check me out. I mean, like, if you want. Sometimes I yodel and play out of tune.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan Dockrill's on the JnJ's show!

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Young Widows are worth checking out if you are into that Jesus Lizard/Shellac kind of vibe. I was sad they were a no show when they were supposed to play 8th continent with monotonix.

Even though Baroness are from the South(GA), I don't hear the southern rock thing at all. Maybe a little Allman Brothers noodling, but it's more towards prog/math rock I think.

Unfortunately i have no ride from dallas, or I'd be there.

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimya Dawson? Really? I'm pretty sure Audrey's been doing her thing before Kimya's moldy peach was fuzzy.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Equalizer is obviously the greatest TV theme song ever. You tube it.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay archives!

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

singer-songwriters? hey professor positive, is this 1971? if'n so why don't you go ahead and pull that trigger, cuz i ain't finding this tundra so mondo jovial..

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought that was a picture of Conor Oberst.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conor Oberst?? nah. Audrey Lapraik has much better hair.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home