Friday, March 21, 2008

Weekender

Guess the post-sxsw gluttony of shows has pretty much calmed down this weekend. There are a few good things going on, however, and here they are:

FRIDAY

Nouns Group/Blank Blank Zero/Death to the Doomriders/Fake Blood/Har Herrar (1919 Hemphill): Blank Blank Zero is an on again/off again group, with obvious grind influences, unexpected rhythm shifts, and ambitiously busy bass-lines. The vocals are always convincingly pissed off, and the lead singer once walked away mid-set to get a slice of pizza and pushed a fan out of the way with a curt "Yeah, right" when asked about "merch." Intense. Har Herrar features a member of Mount Righteous and Blank Blank playing acoustic songs somewhere along the same lines as Mt. Righteous, but with stripped down instrumentation and bombast. Fake Blood is the keyboard and drums duo that shouts beautifully along to their bratty racket.

White Rock Rhythms Presents Image and Imagination (Bath House Gallery, 521 E. Lawther Dr., Dallas,TX): Got wind of this event at the last minute, and since I don't know much about it beyond what I just read anyway, I'll go ahead and post the email I received. This thing starts at 8pm, and you can call 214-670-8749 for more info:

Since 2003 , the White Rock Rhythms concert series has showcased the great diversity of the (mostly underground) Dallas jazz scene, with styles ranging from traditional swing and New Orleans Street beat to contemporary progressive and the Avant Garde.

White Rock Rhythms' Image and Imagination is a multi-media event featuring art and writings from 'Verse and Reverse," the new show in the Bath House gallery.

As the art is projected, writers read their words and musicians Carl Smith from Austin, Aaron Gonzalez of Dallas and Kim Corbet of Dallas interpret what they see and hear as dancers move in shadow play behind an opaque scrim. Subtle shades of light and sound stimulate each observer into absolutely unique interpretations guaranteed to inspire deep atmospheric dreams

Kaboom/Magnum Octopus/Br00takville (J&Js): Check this fuckin' shit out. Dudes are probly gonna rock the fuck out at this shit and go home and party way harder than your dumb ass with way hotter chicks and bongs and crazy ass shit like you don't even know. Kaboom has like this insane fuckin little dude that runs around scaring my boy Howardbobjohnson on some Jesus Lizard shit. Rule. Unless you're too much of a pussy you should show the fuck up at this thing at 9 and fuckin be drunk enough to be all hey lets mosh to this shit before we get laid by those metal bitches that hang in front of that bullshit pizza place. tight.

Sorry. But I really like that flier.

SATURDAY

Dub Assembly Feat. Parson/Mundo and Lifted MC/Keith P/Royal Highnuss (Green Elephant): Chris Parson of Planet Mu Records will headline this month's edition of Dub Assembly, an event that is growing in terms of both attendance and wider cultural relevancy. So I know we've already told you about the praise that Jason Mundo has received from European critics (check Wire and Boomkat for more) for his American brand of dubstep, but as we dig deeper into the press that Mundo and some of the other Dub Assembly crew members have been getting, we find that, along with Austin's Chris Parson, Mundo is being praised not only as a dubstep producer generally, but as one that does something a bit different: namely, incorporating elements of dirty south hip hop into the genre, resulting in something of a unique take on dubstep unique to Texas. Interesting. And with Keith P joining (possibly the best DJ in town right now), we'll tell you again to check these guys out if you have any interest at all in electronic music. Dubstep seems to be a love it or hate it affair, but you really have to hear it live before you can decide which side of the fence to be on.


SUNDAY

Rocket for Ethiopia/The Potetial Johns/The Wax Museums/Koji Kondo/Icarus Crane/Pools (Carrolton Arts Plaza): I'm hard pressed to think of a more perfect marriage than hardcore shows in the suburbs. The backdrop in this instance is Old Carrolton (I thought you knew) and apparently there is one of two record stores nearby, a comic shop, bike shop etc. The show takes place in an old theater that's been renovated and dates back to fairly early last century. The Wax Museums did a terrific job at our show last week, taking their deceptively simple music and showing us what a feat it is to pull off that kind of throwback punk, stopping perfectly on every break, and never sounding like the moronically empty retro retreads of some of their peers. Extra points for the headless bass. Pools play a passionately art-damaged hardcore with screaming vocals and bigger, slower beats dropped throughout as opposed to the tight closed hi-hat sound. Icarus Crane are kind of the odd band out, with a tedious music school virtuosity that smugly winks its way through prog-strumental territory, but at least they don't sing. The Potential Johns have those charming early 80's vocals where you can actually make out the words, sometimes sounding like Angry Samoans or even The Wipers, and fairly melodic overall. Rocket For Ethiopia are fairly sloppy live but it doesn't bother me. You ever heard a Germs live album? It sucks but it rules.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't encourage cody robinson

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. the new and the original, period.
2. not bands that sound like old bands.
3. tequila.
4. revisit #1
5. awaken from your slumber.
6. shart it out loud...

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TOBER OMI
THE TIDBITS

EXPO CAFE SATURDAY

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Tidbits are good.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these pretzels are makin me thirsty !

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that flyer. Black people?

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punk Bunny and Dr. Mobuto are a match made in hell. I kinda wanna go to that show just to see how insanely bad it will be.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish there was more to do on saturday! i'm bored!

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il594GeNnpo

Best new band in Denton----

Give into temptation
You don’t have to home all alone
Get into it
I see you acting like you’re talking on your phone
But boy I know what
I know what you’re missing tonight
You’re big and so strong
You need a little brother to boss around and play fight

You can hold me down I’ll let you in
Don’t pull me too close or I’ll pull you in
I can tell you like attention
That’s just the thing that I'm giving

I want to give you my
Faggoty attention
Baby that’ll make you feel right
With my faggoty attention
Baby all I need is tonight
I’ll change your life
And I won’t ask, won’t tell
Promise you won’t go to hell
Tonight
We’ll go back to Brooklyn get it cooking
Don’t you worry no ones looking

Ooh its right now
And your falling into my plan
You can get rough
Boy I aint no girl I can take it like a man
And all your questions
They can all be anwered tonight
Hope your ready
Coz you aint never had it this tight

You can hold me down I’ll let you in
Don’t pull me too close or I’ll pull you in
I can tell you like attention
That’s just the thing that I'm giving

I want to give you my
Faggoty attention
Baby that’ll make you feel right
With my faggoty attention
Baby all I need is tonight
I’ll change your life
And I won’t ask, won’t tell
Promise you won’t go to hell
Tonight
We’ll go back to Brooklyn get it cooking
Don’t you worry no ones looking

Back to Brooklyn get it cooking
Don’t you worry no ones looking (x3)

You can hold me down

You can hold me down I’ll let you in
Don’t pull me too close or I’ll pull you in
I can tell you like attention
That’s just the thing that I'm giving

I want to give you my
Faggoty attention
Baby that’ll make you feel right
With my faggoty attention
Baby all I need is tonight
I’ll change your life
And I won’t ask, won’t tell
Promise you won’t go to hell
Tonight
We’ll go back to Brooklyn get it cooking
Don’t you worry no ones looking

Oh oh oh…

Faggoty attention

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this weekend is dfw's version of waking up with a terrible hangover.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

more like waking up with cancer

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nouns group has to be the absolute worst band dfw has shitted out to date

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nouns group agrees with you

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I think Nouns Group is great! They played an awesome set at the Anti-Fry St. Fair show last year. I thought Chris in particular had a lot of intensity, especially for such a reserved guy.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah Jaffe at Dan's in like 20 minutes.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The punk rock edition. I see.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting comment, Kyle. I personally think that the majority of the best, most intriguing artists are quiet and reserved when they're away from their art. Rimbaud put it best:

Remain orderly and modest in your life like a bourgeois so that you can be wild and creative in your work.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hick rock

4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad Rimbaud didn't follow his own advice. :)

Well, I guess he did after his time with Verlaine and "A Season In Hell".....I heard he chilled out and became a gun runner. Heh. But that guy got all fucked up and made lots of trouble while he was making much of his great work.

But, he was probably writing at his best when he was 14-15 and sober.

(I could be wrong....this is just what i've heard/read/remember)


Yeah, it's probably a good idea to remain orderly and modest in your life so you can be alive to do anything. :)

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What time does the show at the Carrollton Plaza start?

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doors at seven.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Plaza show is gonna operate on rock n roll time because I can't get out of here until 830 or 9

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

plaza show had a great turnout for a sunday.. goes to show you that real punx dont celbrate easter! jk, jk. anyways, there will be another show at the plaza, probably sometime during the summer and on a friday night. there will be thrash.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

worst band shitted out to date? seriously dude, what's your beef? they're not bad at all

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home