Wednesday, January 07, 2009

It List: Wednesday

El Paso Hot Button/The Black/Ume (The Lounge): This is almost the tenth time in three years (Wow, three years, really?) that we have listed El Paso Hot Button on a show, so I'll spare you any redundancy, but at least mention that some of the tracks have a quieter 60's psych-sound I wasn't expecting, which is a welcome departure from the usual riff-focused material heard from this project. Ume is one of those bands that never quite does it for me, they are one of many bands that gets lost in this "sea of ordinary" where many bands find themselves; competent at their instruments and they seem tasteful enough, but somehow everything just comes out as the audio equivalent of Diet Sprite. These words are hard for me to type since they seem a little pointlessly harsh, but I'm what I'm supposed to say after hearing 40,000 bands like this? In any event, I wish them great success, because the odds are stacked against you when you're in a straight-forward rock band, and I mean that with all sincerity.

Mad Swirl/Swirve (Absinthe): I first caught Swirve almost a decade ago, and they put on an impressive show in a rather unlikely place: The Bone in Deep Ellum. I saw them again this past month at The Lounge, and they were still good, mixing horns and drums in either an improvisation that sounded meticulously planned, or a meticulous plan that sounded improvised. In either case, the music is pretty good and even kept the meat-heads interested. Why are instrumental acts automatically considered "experimental?" I can name ten off the top of my head (Explosions In The Sky being the daddy of them all) that basically play children's music.

ADD: Yells At Eels/Billingham's Defense System (The Cavern): One of Detour's best lineups yet.


ADD: Sun Club/Females/Yeah Def (Hailey's): Sun Club will be spinning Chicago and French house, Detroit techno, microhouse and disco. Sorry, internet is acting a little strange today, so we can't add links at the moment.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why are instrumental acts automatically considered "experimental?" I can name ten off the top of my head (Explosions In The Sky being the daddy of them all) that basically play children's music."

WOW really? You can name 10? Impressive!

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're impressed. That was one of my goals when I got out of bed this afternoon: impressing you. Now I can go back to sleep.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yells at eels and billingham's defense system tonight at the cavern.!!!!!!!!!!! FREE!!!!!!!

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joey Kendall & Ryan Thomas Becker @ Boiler Room (of all places)

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you hit the nail on the head of maybe why I do like explosions actually

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tonight at haileys

sun club [bryce isbell & grey]
females
yeahdef

21&up free / under $5

happy hour till midnight

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God I fucking hate fungi girls

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet no one fucking shows at haileys just like his other parties of late. I was at those last two when lil foot played. No one was there. You lying fuck hype machines

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any clue what time Sun Club will be spinning?

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seripop slept on my floor.

...and I never got a free poster :(

Oh well w/e

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, why don't you cry about it?

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn guys...I'm supposed to be the pessimistic one..

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i fucking hate cottage cheese pussy

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

man fuck you bro

1:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bruce mcculloch!

1:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good job at saying a whole lot of nothing

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shut the fucking pie hole, shitface. only ttl maggot geeks have names like "alec empire". you make me wanna QUEEF!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm erasing all posts that copy and paste in the name

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know why it's considered unchartered territory to play long drawn out instrumental pieces, sounds like ethic that's been around since the time of the harpsichord, also canadian and neatherlands bands have been producing such music for a good while now, maybe it's all the soda i drank and commercial breaks but i need something with a lil more pep, ok a lot more, now go!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stymie, off with their heads, and over stars and gutters played rgrs, nondescript punk rock which was kind of refreshing in this day of age where there a punk here a punk everywhere another subgenre of punk punk, for some strange reason it got brought up with me on two separate occasions how not all skinheads where racist skinheads, like i mean i know i wrote the report for my sophomore social studies class, it was odd like revisit from the rancid dayz, my drinks were cheap which is always a plus but the best part of the evening by far was the the two drunk pantera fans who slapped my friends ass as a sign of brotherly brotherness??? i dunno but thank god for dimebag darrel may he rest in piece

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, mr.cut n paste: you are a horrible writer and your topics are those from a sheltered, mimicked life.

give up. seriously. you suck.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i must say i'm a tad bit confused, if you cut an paste something than it ain't your material, right? (that was my material i was jsut trying to contribute and make sure a show wasn't going without notice on grounds of it being 'general') sheltered and mimicked? those are two words that greatly define modern america, which i must say lay it down pretension is one dead ass tune that i just can't dance all that well to, i buy pills from old womens cabinets cause they just to bored to be anything but fucked up, i eat pizza every chance i can get, i love driving down street with my music blaring just so i can relish in a strip of neon capitalism, trying to be cool ain't the same thing as being cool, give up or catch up?...or ketchup, i'm not only just sayin', i'm just defendin'

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i must say i'm a tad bit confused, if you cut an paste something than it ain't your material, right? (that was my material i was jsut trying to contribute and make sure a show wasn't going without notice on grounds of it being 'general') sheltered and mimicked? those are two words that greatly define modern america, which i must say lay it down pretension is one dead ass tune that i just can't dance all that well to, i buy pills from old womens cabinets cause they just to bored to be anything but fucked up, i eat pizza every chance i can get, i love driving down street with my music blaring just so i can relish in a strip of neon capitalism, trying to be cool ain't the same thing as being cool, give up or catch up?...or ketchup, i'm just defending my honor, that sir was uncalled for, now if i didnt get ya right i do appologize as any person with fair intentions should

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ephb = lame coachwhips ripoff with a lisp

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man I forgot that I love Joe. I love you Joe. Be my baby boy (sexy man)

2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dunno if you are man or woman 12;37 but i do ablidge

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home