Thursday, April 12, 2007

It List: Thursday 4/12/07

Lost Generation With Wanz Dover (Fallout Lounge): Tonight Wanz will be playing segments of the Kraftwerk live DVD. He'll also have his new mixtape which is cleverly titled: I Love Kraftwerk + I Hate Techno=Dumbass. Here's the track listing:

1.Kraftwerk - Numbers(live)
2.Ellen Allien & Apparrat - Way Out
3.Kiki - So Easy to forget(Ada Remix)
4.Booka Shade - Darko(tube remix)
5.Mochipet - Disko Donkey ([a]Pendics Shuffle Mix)
6.Simian Mobile Disco - It's the beat
7.The Fall - Dr.Bucks letter(Wanz Dover Banger's and Trix Mix)
8.Jeff Mills and the Montpellier orchestra - Amazon
9.Black Devil Disco Club - Just Foot
10.Barbara Morgenstern - aus heiterem himmel(Ellen Allien remix)
11.Gui Boratto - I like you (Supermayer remix)
12.The Field - A Paw in my face
13.Afrika bambaata and The Soul Sonic Force Vs. The Rapture - Planet Rock(Wanz party mash mix)



Forbes, Young, and Gonzalez Trio/Lil' Tedley/Unconscious Collective (Secret Headquarters): This is a better show than you would expect see on a Thursday. I guess the two SHQ shows are on Thursday and Friday this week, since they're understandably closed for Fry St. Fair. The Forbes, Young, and Gonzalez trio and The Unconscious Collective feature some of the most talent you'll ever witness live, and both groups boast lineups that are pretty much the perfect mix of ability and taste. The Forbes, Young and Gonzalez Trio are more improvisational and closer to free jazz than the Unconscious Collective, who tend to attack with the intensity and bombast of the best moments of prog-rock, however there still tends to be some improvisation. I'm not familiar with Lil' Tedley and couldn't find a link, but they are probably the standout since I've heard they're more straight-ahead punk rock. This show is proof that so-called "real musicians" don't have to spend a lifetime playing cheesy shit. Take notes.

80's Night With DJ G (Hailey's)


The Intonations /David Trust/The Grass Fight (J and J's Pizza): The Intonations sound like they take a lot of pop songwriting influence from New Order and Superchunk, with Reid Brothers-styled distortion sprayed all over it. The Grass Fight take a step backwards from there with some unabashed Joy Division style-biting. David Trust surprised me with some pretty interesting, darkly dramatic songs and singing on his page, but who knows if he'll pull the usual solo set with no backing band that many singer-songwriters subject you to. He's got a pretty cool, extremely low voice that reminds me of Calvin Johnson and Nick Cave. Pretty impressive artists to be compared to, but I'll need to see this live to really decide.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

look out for my mix tape, bros!!!

i don't like kraftwerk + i don't techno= i'm not a homogay!

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4:02
Wow, you took time to write that.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, sounds like a seriously good mix tape to me.

and I'm not a homogay, but I think that homogays are pretty serious.

is a homogay like the second or third stage of awes?

I'd say the fifth, but you didn't ask me, and I sure as hell didn't ask myself.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that real serious is really not funny. As in: it got old the first time I saw one of your posts.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would like to talk about farah having sex with weedemon...

goo...

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

goo...ross

10:39 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

what about this...


I LIKE Kraftwerk + hate techno... what then?

12:41 AM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

I think I just now got that title.

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really dislike wanz. he needs to grow up.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is not one good reason to dislike me. If you have a beef try saying it to my face. You will probably get a humble apology for whatever I did to offend you.

Maybe you just need to get a sense of humor. The mixtape title was inspired by a conversation with my bro Bryan Schmitz. He was making of fun of electronic music and I asked him if he liked Kraftwerk. He said yes and I made fun at him back. It's a joke. A Larry David kind of joke, but a joke nonetheless. Lighten up.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

12:15 hates Wanz + 4:02 hates gays
=Dumb Ass with with a big stick firmly placed in it. Move out of Texas and get a life.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a great big world out there where people have better things to do than hate on artists and gays. It is you my friend that needs to grow up and stop worrying about Wanz.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love homogays. and wanz. who said i hate them? so you don't want my mixtape? big deal. i'm not offended. chill, bros.

3:16 PM  
Blogger jerktx said...

Bryan Schmitz will kick your ass. So will his band the Golden Boys. Troof.

4:34 PM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

for the record. I don't really think Schmitz is a dumbass. He is one of my closest friends. We moved to Denton together.

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not offended???!!!Not a homo???!!!
How about this...eat some cock, ya little pussy!!!!

I'll gladly shove your imaginary mixtape up your lazy indie ass.

Yeah, you want some of this, bro...

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I mean you 4:02/3:16....bite me!!!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bryan Schmitz is a damn talented motherfucker. Bitch.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home