Friday, May 12, 2006

It List: Friday 5/12/06

Some good stuff to do tonight all over the place:

1. Strange Boys/ Chief Deathrage/ Eat Avery's Bones (8th Continent Denton): I'm not sure, but I think I heard a new Strange Boys song on Meat Radio last night (unless it was Lydia Lunch), and I really liked what I heard. I've heard some of their other new stuff too, and it sounds like they are moving in a more interesting direction. Chief is a sludgy stoner rock kinda band that features one of the members of Undoing (I forget but I think its the A-Train). Seen them at the Yellow House, I believe it was, and they were really good. And who doesn't like Eat Avery's Bones?

2. Essex Green (the Cavern): Elephant 6 style 60's influenced psyche pop on Merge records isn't for everyone, but I think its for me. Its the kind of band that I don't really want to like because of the all the Brian Chodetown Massacre 60's revival people that walk around bothering me all day (even though I like BJM), but Essex Green is really good, especially if you just want to have a Friday drinking night in May. Should be fun.

3. Chris Garver (Art Six 424 Bryan St. Denton): Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't know what Art Six is. But theres the address. And here is an artist from Denton that we just heard for the first time the other day and really like. He does really good, somewhat experimental somewhat outsider influenced folk while managing to keep something of a pop structure so that its more like a song and less like a thesis statement, even though they can be good too. Go listen to the Myspace page if you don't believe thats possible. 9pm on the dot.

Paper Chase will be at the Granada with a bunch of bands I don't know and don't care to find out about, but I'd be interested to hear their new stuff.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

GARVERRRRRR! Totally stoked about seeing him play tonight.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blush

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be at Double-Wide for The Tah-Dahs, Team Evil & Rubber Robot.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

strange boys should be great. the 8th continent is always a cool time.

...and the new sbs stuff is pretty good. for a while i was sorta concerned about the 4th member and the even-more-garage style they have been using lately... but i'll admit, it's good. and while at first i was thinking "that 4th member just doesn't fit" i think i've since revamped that thought pattern all-together. i mean, fuck... they STILL all look like they could be related, so whatever that means.

they put out a little "demoesque" cd that they were selling the last time they played rubber gloves. very low fi (recorded on a cheap recorder used most likely for dictating and such) but there is some really cool stuff on there.... 4 or 5 songs that haven't been put on their website or their myspace, and one song in-particular that i consider a "treat" as i don't think they'll ever be playing it live.... it (apparently) features nobody but ryan on handclaps, foot stomps, short piano riffs, and singing

oh, and matt's still the best drummer around.... and he's only gonna get better

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

essex green show was great aside from a handful of drunken jerkoff fratboys. didn't care for chemistry
set.

4:09 AM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

yeah, I don't think that I care for them either. Essex Green was good though.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Chris Garver show was a perfect intimate evening. Looking forward to the next one.

M-.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home