Thursday, September 21, 2006

It List: Thursday 9/21/06


1. DJ Tiger Bee (Counter Culture in Deep Ellum)

Directly from the DJ:

"Come out after dinner or work and catch a little art and groovy tunes! Peruse the vintage threads and trip out on the far out work of R. thies. With the pressure off of me to keep the dancefloor bumping I'm going to be spinning all the mental psychedelic, freaky jazz, acid bliss I want! Im talking Dark Magus Miles, Can, Edip Aykbayram, Silver Apples, Aussie psych Executives, Cambodian rock Unknowns, mummified Garagey Pretty Things to brasilian bossa nova cavity inducers! The stuff that would make you throw lollipops at me if I tried to play it at Lollipop Shoppe!"

2. Rogue Wave/Foreign Born/Jason Collett

Rogue Wave bring their sensitive brand of pop to The Cavern tonight. Their tourmates, Foreign Born, are more joyous and play slick, L.A. glam pop. Broken Social Scene fans will probably want to make it to this show since the band's guitarist, Jason Collett, will be performing a set of songs to open the show.

3. Pinebox Serenade (Club Dada)

This busy group of Denton musicians take some time out of their busy touring schedule to make a fairly rare appearance in Dallas tonight. The strength of this band is in the arrangements which are sophisticated without being too busy or thrown in just to have them there. If you're going to have accordion in a song, you better know how to use it. Thankfully, they do.

4. Tuna Helpers/Christian Teenage Runaway/LAZER (Rubber Gloves)

The Rubber Gloves website says one of these bands is called White Grrrl but their website says Christian Teenage Runaway. I hadn't heard of this band but I liked their music and I would really like to see them live. They play the kind of bratty female fronted rock that never gets old to me. I can't totally vouch for Austin's Tuna Helpers or Lazer other than I'm sure both bands are more about the live experience than anything else. I would say that even if you didn't like any of above three bands you still wouldn't be bored at this show.

11 Comments:

Blogger fuzzbuzz said...

Thanks for passing the buzz SR!

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops I mean DL!

4:46 PM  
Blogger fuzzbuzz said...

I mean THANKS DEFENSIVE LISTENING and its from 7-10pm (Free!). Work kills brain cells kids!

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sweet fancy moses!

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay. One of my shows, well, a piece of one of my Thursday shows, made We Shot J.R.

It is indeed a red letter day.

Thanks guys, er, gals, er, guy/gal...the nod is well appreciated.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Defensive Listening said...

You're welcome.

5:36 PM  
Blogger Defensive Listening said...

Who are you talking to? May I help you?

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little surprised that Rogue Wave is playing such a small venue. I guess I vastly overestimated their popularity.

6:01 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

yeah, I can't believe Rogue Wave isn't huge, actually. They're very poppy and really good at what they do.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.petitiononline.com/pd456/petition.html

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That singer-songwriter crack was totally unfounded. No one likes singer-songwriters.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home