Tuesday, June 19, 2007

It List: Tuesday 6/19/07


Dinosaur Jr./Black Keys (Ridglea Theater): Big-time lineup put on by that wild underground indie-rock/party people collective known only as Camel Cigarettes. Dinosaur Jr. were much better than I thought they'd be when I saw them, and I thought they would be pretty good. They absolutely killed, especially when they played anything off of the first album and it was amazing to hear those songs at unbelievable volumes, free of the claustrophobic SST sound so prevalent at the time. When they went in to "Just Like Heaven", everybody went as crazy as if The Cure themselves were at Gypsy Tea Room. I recommend going but I think it's lame that Dinosaur Jr. might open the show. Who do The Black Keys think they are? I think they're kind of a frat rock band, but that's just me.

Casiotone For The Painfully Alone/Gym Mat Nap /Magic Cyclops/Alex Atchley (Rubber Gloves): Woah, pretty intense venue change. One minute you're playing at the 3,000 capacity Palladium (upstairs, but still), and then you're playing at the 300 capacity Rubber Gloves. I don't know what the story is, but it's cool of Rubber Gloves to add two acts to the bill at the last minute. I feel like Casiotone For The Painfully Alone is an idea that's reached its logical extreme, but it's also had its fair share of acts ripping it off over the years, thus making them seem more overplayed than they probably deserve. Magic Cyclops is the aesthetic opposite of the earnest CTFPA, featuring a one-man act that features a lot of synth but also a lot of trailer trash jokes. Gym Mat Nap is the experimental pop side project of Matt from Tha Bracelets. Alex Atchley is in Black Wizardz and I'm assuming this is his electronic-based solo project. I'm sure he'll leave a snide comment confirming as much.


The Rosebuds/Land Of Talk (The Cavern): The Rosebuds are pretty safe and sweet pop music, with a lot of dance beats. Kind of an indie-rock take on New Order but minus the moodiness. Land of Talk is a little more rocking than their tour-mates, with straight-forward catchiness and achy-voiced melodies not unlike Scrawl or Bettie Serveert at times.

20 Comments:

Blogger Jasun said...

"I think they're kind of a frat rock band, but that's just me."

Lo-Fi University

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes dinosaur jr was amazing at gypsy last time they came through. i had a girl crawl over my head to try to steal the set list. she had a good time screaming "fuck you bitch" for about 4 minutes while i enjoyed the wagon.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

enjoyed the wagon?

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not?

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i had to give my free birthday ticket away because of 6 and a half hours of collegiate testing tomorrow. in doing so, i must say i have never heard so many people get enthused when they heard the black keys were playing. honestly, i tend to agree with your assessment, although it was older stuff that i have heard. haven't really cared to hear more.


i LOVE dinosaur jr. to the nth degree. reading your report of the last time you saw them play makes me even more sorrowful. thankfully good folks are going in my place and will report every moment to me.


everyone have fun... so sad.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just saw land of talk on here. steakfinger burned me a cd of theirs that is great!

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the wagon. get on in.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Black Keys' Rubber Factory is a damn good record in my opinion. It's not their fault frat boys like them. It is shameful that Dinosaur Jr. has to open for them, though. And fuck Camel.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, those camel dudes were giving out free tickets to this shit at the Hailey's show last Saturday.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't see anything wrong with the Black Keys. They are a blues-rock band. When I saw them with Dr. Dog a while back, the crowd was more of a blues crowd. No frat boy types, but not hipsters.

I don't see why people in the underground seem to hate on blues music so much. it rebellious nature and sound is the building blocks of everything we listen to in modern music today. Yes, some of it is shit, but what genre is perfect?

However, they should be opening for Dinosaur Jr, because Dinosaur Jr is a better band.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought we didn't talk about who was opening for who on this blog.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Andrew Savage said...

"claustrophobic SST sound so prevalent at the time"

maybe im taking this wrong, but SST was putting out some good stuff in the early late 80s.

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

black keys are horrible not because they draw a frat crowd, are a blues band, or had a not as bad band open for them --its simply because they have nothing to offer the genre or listeners.

2:31 AM  
Blogger jeffgilroy said...

holy shit dudes, I went last night and got to hang with Dino Jr on the tour bus! I got a signed copy of their new cd! and yes, they opened the show. which was fucking stupid, but they were loud as all hell. I've been a fan of Dino Jr since '92. That was f-ing crazy last night. I left before Blak Keys, didnt care enough after getting to meet Dino J.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seething with envy. srsly.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to stand outside for two fucking hours, miss Dinosaur Jr., and be horribly disappointed in the Black Keys. I thought I liked them, but that was before I saw them live. Overall, a bad evening for me.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

snide comment!!!


Everyone left while I was playing. Thats what I get for.... stuff... ?

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how was that RGRS show? did anybody go? do people still go to rgrs?

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

only robots go to rgrs

3:48 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

the rubglvz show was pretty wierd. They had casiotone go second. Everyone left, then I played to no one. Then Magic Cyclops played to a slightly larger audience than I. People were really into it. I thought it was okay. They should have done something else with the order.

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home