Thursday, September 13, 2007

Weekender 9/14/07-9/16/07


Going to Suite last night really made me wonder something about myself: am I completely out of touch? Do I have no concept of what cool is and what it isn't? Let me tell you what I mean-- first of all, the show was incredible. Diplo was fantastic, throwing together all kinds of great pop mixes, dirty south tracks, Eurotech stuff and anything else you'll probably hear a lot more in next six months. The sound system at Suite is also one of the better ones I've heard in Dallas in a while, and it really seems to help elevate the energy level in the place. And actually, I really like the space Suite is located in. Not to say that it's anything too over the top amazing, but it's fairly comfortable all things considered. The problem I had was seeing all these jock doucheholes wandering around all night, flexing muscles, looking "relevant" and kind of embarrassing themselves all over the place. I kept wondering, "are these the cool people in Dallas? Seriously? This dude with the half unbuttoned dress shirt from Express?" Either way, the over the top hot bitches made up for a lot of it, and it was truthfully a pretty good time overall. And btw, I was just kidding about that "wondering if I'm cool" thing.

For those who were smart enough to skip out on the overrated ACL, here is some local stuff for the weekend:

FRIDAY

Egyptian Lover/Brian Bejarano/Sober (Minc): Already gave you the rundown on this show earlier in the week (scroll down and read, lazy), and I'm wondering how it will turn out. To me, seeing an underappreciated musician like EL who also happens to have added a lot to the genres of dance music that every ad exec is currently hoping they'll eventually be able to understand is certainly worth the trip to the on again off again Minc. Certainly the most interesting dance show happening tonight.

The National/St. Vincent (Granada): I still honestly can't jump aboard the whole St. Vincent train. I just don't see it. And the National, while they can certainly get a bit self important and annoying at times, do have some pretty good indie pop songs that add elements of surprise and musical quality that generally seems to be lacking in bands I lable "indiepop."

Wlico/Dr. Dog (Palladium): So Wilco is, uh..dh3q4t... forget it. I'm not really that interested these days. Dr. Dog is pretty sweet though.

John Vanderslice/Bowerbirds (Palladium Loft): This is the Gorillavsbear afterparty for the Wilco show upstairs at the Loft, and admission is free for anyone with a Wilco stub.

Gore Gore Girls/Record Hop/Switchblade Razors (Rubber Gloves)

SATURDAY

Evan Hecox/The Party/Cobrasnake (Public Trust): Are these events called "openings" or "shows" or what? Anyway, this is going down from 7-10pm and will feature the work of Evan Hecox (I'll spare you my attempt to analyze visual art). There is an after party for this at Suite, but your dumb ass probably isn't invited. I am though. Ha Ha.

Art Show feat. Mark Pease, Nevada Hill, Logan Hill, Josh Reames(Secret Headquarters): This art show will also feature live music performances from members of Nouns Group, Seth Sherman, and Nevada Hill.

Gallery Openings: An/Or Gallery, Barry Whistler, Road Agent (Dallas): All of these are part of the Deep Gallery walk, and I've been told by a trusted source that these places will be the cream of the crop on Saturday... and I'm glad someone told me, because I really don't feel like sifting through a bunch of crap in order to see the good stuff. And/Or events are always fun too.

Last of the Interceptors/Gazelles/Koji Kondo/Heartrapers/The Know/Bangs (XCW Wrestling Arena on 377-Denton): Party being put on by Wemadeoutonce and this guy named Brian who I kind of got into a little fight with in the comments section this week... we kissed and made up though so it's all good. I believe this is happening at the place where the Groovy Mule used to be off 377 in Denton, and if thats the case, then people who go to this show should really watch out for the ghosts of JNCO past trying to haunt the section of the party where the kegs will be. Oh yeah, it's $5, and there will be two free kegs for those who are 21 and up and pay. For a map, click here.

David Bazan/Casiotone for the Painfully Alone (Dan's Sliverleaf)

Magnolia Electric Co./Golden Boots/Tre Orsi (Rubber Gloves)

Oakley Hall/Zykos/Paul Duncan/The Narrator (Hailey's)

SUNDAY

Queens of the Stone Age/Howlin' Rain/Dax Riggs (House of Blues): I just realized that I haven't heard any of the last two QOTSA albums. Are they any good? Somehow I doubt it, but who knows. The association with Kyuss alone is enough to put them on my list. Also, some of you might want to check out Howlin' Rain, especially if you feel like you might be into hearing members of Comets on Fire and Sunburned Hand of the Man playing songs that sound like the Grateful Dead. Unfortunately, I actually AM that kind of person. Oops.

41 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry for the SPAM:

i have some open nights to have guest DJs.
FOR NOW: (fyi, all on fridays)
OCT. 19th
NOV. 2nd
NOV. 9th
DEC. 7th
FEB - 2 nights TBA.

please email me at johnis@paradeofflesh.com or call me if you know me. or gayspace me at myspace.com/paradeofflesh

thanks

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SHOT JR


HAR HAR

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMGCASIOTONEOMG
OMGCASIOTONEOMG
OMGCASIOTONEOMG
OMGCASIOTONEOMG
OMGCASIOTONEOMG

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess we are not "it" but,

The Frenz is playing Club Dada tomorrow saturday night.

and

Ineka, Wanz(that's me) and Alex Ander will be spinning at Zubar in the back room on sunday to support Redeye and Robert Taylor in the front room for their Liquid Courage DJ night. We are gonna be spinning lots of min imal and german techno in the backroom. Come check out something different.

We don't bite I promise.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Comets on Fire did pretty much turn into the Grateful Dead after signing to Sub Pop ...

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely not "it".

6:57 PM  
Blogger Hot For Discourse said...

Did you sling any of those '..over the top hot bitches...' S.R.? Because if you didn't,I don't think you're allowed to say that.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

LOLCASIOTONE

4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to post about nouns group, noun-boy

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, behn you ....

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"way to post about nouns group, noun-boy"

let's never let this fake debate end
annoying anons represent your hood
(the internet hell yeah bitch)

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zykos is a good live show. May be worth a trek to Denton tonight.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"over the top hot bitches made up for a lot of it"

man, that doesn't make you sound like a dumbass at all and definitly doesn't put you anywhere near the same level as the dudes flexing. about 3/4 of the dallas/ft worth area need to go cut their stupid handlebar mustaches, lose the rat tails and sell your fucking lame early 90's throwback mid-drift shirts.

thank god there is a place where the majority of Texas' worst music can fester and rot. keep making the rest of the state proud and churn out another boring dance pop band...with handlebar mustaches.

get raped.

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey SR, do me.

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cftpa was great tonight

2:19 AM  
Blogger Steve M said...

i don't care what you guys say, the chemistry set show was incredible tonight at the cavern. pfffftt!

got too messed up to remember the alice rose and zest of yore, soory

3:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to the recordhop show and thought they were great. Haven't seen them in over a year and thought they sounded glorious.

Even got a free shot out of the deal. thanks S.P.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The verbs trio rocked the gallery ... for 8 glorious minutes

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should have pushed the Kettle Art Show, instead of the portentous, boring Road Agent & Barry Whistler shows. And/Or was interesting, but there were many other kick ass galleries with better raw talent.

Kettle was the highlight of the evening. Hundreds of people were there. They floated a keg of Shiner, went through three jugs of wine, and four cases of beer in 2&1/2 hours.

The art was incredible, and the party was a blast.

All the galleries were fun (esp. Studio Fling and Canvas, and I experienced very little crap. I guess you'll just have to come to the gallery walk next month and experience the others that aren't rich enough to be mentioned.

-local artist

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kettle art will never be taken seriously on a museum level. none of those artists will ever be known outside of deep ellum. glad they're making a run at it, but the work is bearable at best.

6:24 PM  
Blogger lauren said...

2:19 is not me btw assholes

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or foxable.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott Porter... why don't you buy me shots?

Bastard!

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He owed me a couple, i think.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you still got it, JR

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kettle's reputation for medicore art precedes itself and this show did nothing to help. cluttered walls that needed some serious editing.
evan hecox showed a bunch of really great work. he's one of my favorite artists, but honestly i would have liked more variety.

i thought the and/or was solid, road agent was worth swinging by, and there are some really nice pieces in the whistler.

the light and sie gallery had a show up not on your list that is worth checking out.

saturday was a pretty awesome day around here... it was good to see so many people out wandering around. anyone go to the suite afterparty for the hecox show?

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah. the party was fun but Suite sucks balls!

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any opinions on Mighty Fine Arts, in Oak Cliff?

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dallas art scene, out of the woodwork

8:07 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

"kettle art will never be taken seriously on a museum level. none of those artists will ever be known outside of deep ellum. glad they're making a run at it, but the work is bearable at best."

Funny. I remember going to New York with Kettle this past June. We sold 20 pieces to... New Yorkers.

Hum... New Yorkers seem to like the art, and I do believe they are outside of Deep Ellum...

4:28 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

PS - I showed at this last Kettle show and I've sold pieces to a woman who owns a gallery in Colorado.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Colorado is also outside of Deep Ellum.

I have a few folks in Ohio that are interested in having me ship works to them.

Ohio's outside of Deep Ellum, right?

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

alison proves the addage "an exception to every rule"

4:44 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a witty joke about the pot calling the kettle black

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alison, Thanks for pointing me in this direction but talking shit on a blog to anonymous pusses is goofy. Let 'em say what they want, could care less and in some cases even agree. For those who do have names and legit responses here's what's up.

At Kettle we've been sifting through the D-FW visual art scene by being inclusive as opposed to exclusive for nearly two years. There's a lot of talent in varying degrees to go through and it hasn't been easy to balance quality.

From now through until our Christmas show you'll see much more focus. Also we're going to Miami and back to NY soon to feature some of our favorite local artists. Hell, I agree 'A Piece of My Art' needed a third less art / artists to be less cluttered, but I didn't put the show together and it sure made for a great party.

Much respect for Whistler, Road Agent and Public Trust. We plan to reach that same hierarchy w/ D-FW talent and promote them both here and elsewhere in time. btw - love the Kettle black and the pot was good too!

12:28 AM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

I don't have an opinion on Kettle Art because I've never been there, but I don't think anyone was really being mean or overly rude towards you, Alison. I think the anons were expressing their criticism in a rather reasonable way (at least for around here). Was the guy wrong? I don't know. But I do know that at least 90% of the art I've seen in Deep Ellum in my life has been mediocre at best (and a lot of it has been pretty pathetic), and while you could probably make that same statement about the art in most major American cities, I'm sure you can understand why some people are a bit negative or skeptical about at least some of the art in deep ellum.

Again, I don't know you, your work, or the stuff in Kettle, I'm just saying that a lot of people might go into local art shows with a negative attitude from the start... and they probably have good reason for it.

BTW, I like people talking about art on here. I hope it continues.

10:02 AM  
Blogger bill h said...

I went to quite a few galleries on Saturday, including Kettle and had a throughly entertaining day. That area over in the Design District is quite cool, lots going on there now. I really liked the show at Aritizen. The paintings at Craighead Green were quite intriguing particularly the ones by Yrjo Edelmann.

One of the coolest things I saw was the UHaul Photo show by students at UNT. They hung their photos in the back of a uhaul, which they parked in the lot by Photos do not Bend.

I liked the Kettle show just as I have earlier shows. I love the fact that it's a place where emerging artists have a place to show work along side much more accomplished artists. The place was packed, which I also thought was cool. I thought the free shiner was even cooler.

I thought the Evan Hecox pieces at Public Trust were intriguing.

We ended the evening listening to street hassle at dada, who I thought were really good.

I'm certainly biased as I like a lot of these artists and photographers personally, but I completely enjoyed the art that I saw.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit overzealous.

I'm simply a person who loves the fact that Kettle gives artists a chance.

About three years ago local artists had hardly anywhere to show their works, and it was impossible to get a show at the high-brow galleries that existed.

Now we have many local galleries that sponsoring the growing talent. We should all be thankful that we actually have a growing artistic community, and people have many choices to critique shows, galleries and work. Not just one or two.

I am also glad to see positive talk, or any talk, related to art on here.

DEEP is supposed to be hosting these walks every month on the second Saturday to coincide with gallery openings throughout the art season.

Pretty great stuff for a "Plastic" place like Dallas.

3:10 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

yes, I'm glad that local artists will get a chance to showcase their work as well. I hope to find some stuff that I like in the coming months.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I hope you will, stonedranger, I hope you will.

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home