Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Greatness: Jeff Hukill

Jeff Hukill is a North Texas visual artist and songwriter who's been painting professionally since 1975. Mr. Hukill was kind enough to answer some hard-hitting art questions for our first edition of WeShotJr: Greatness.

Richardson Heights: What first inspired you to paint?

Jeff Hukill: A deep inner connection to the beauty, wonder and adventure of life as a young boy. My inspiration to actually pick up a brush started in the early 60's when I saw an ad from the Famous Artists School of Westport Connecticut. Norman Rockwell was one of the co-founders. I wanted to inspire others the way I was inspired by what I saw in their work while taking the 2 year course.

RH: Do you remember a specific piece of artwork or artist you saw that made you think, "I can do that." ?

JH: Maxfield Parrish has been a great inspiration to me with the way he captured the imagination and his use of color. I like all of his work.

[ASIDE: The Maxfield Parrish stuff is pretty incredible. Check out this article section + attached image.]

RH: How did you learn to paint?

JH: As mentioned above I took a 2 year correspondence course from FASWC. I taught myself from many sources of information including books but mainly through my own doing.

RH: What is your work environment like? Can you describe what your process is while painting?

JH: My painting environment has changed over the years from listening to many types of music. Now I like it quiet. I paint with acrylics colors because of the fast drying time of the thin transparent glazes of color that I use in my technique.

RH: Your work is obviously very spiritual in nature. Can you explain what drives you?

JH: I believe I explained that in my bio web page but dreams are what I'm interested in -- dreams of a spiritual that move me to create, give meaning to life and share with others, and hopefully inspire others, beauty, color, light, nature, order.

RH: A recurring image in your painting is that of a transparent being, human or otherwise. Can you explain what that signifies?

JH: We are all spiritual in nature. Dreams are as real as this place we call earth. The true nature of our being is Soul which is not the the physical body, mind or emotions. As Soul we use the body, mind and emotions while in this world of matter, energy, space and time. This physical world is not separated from the dream or inner world. As Soul we can live in both worlds. We are in this world but not of this world.

Image courtesy of Jeff Hukill.  Be sure to check out all of his work.  

34 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"A deep inner connection to beauty" is where I stopped reading. Am I just drunk or is that a total homo response?

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this guy has a horrible website. If I order 3 prints I get free shipping?!!? This is crap advertisement.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whether you like it or not beauty draws you to everything

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beauty?

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol are you serious? Thats some tacky shit. As in the the no redeeming value kinda tacky.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the title "greatness." Kind of reminds me of "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handy.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is greatness.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you scrolled through the gallery yet? Nice find.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the on the same level of derivative tacky shit spewed out by Kincaid. This is the musical equivalent to sher or barbra streisand.
Look at it. Where's the punk? The noise? The grit? If the art you respond is any indication of the type of music you listen to than I could assume that you take musical listening cues from top 40 or MTV.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, lame. ive been i raped by the boring.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone should be fired.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"derivative tacky shit"?
You mean, as opposed to your ironic t-shirt/truckstop hat/beard/moustache?
I think WSJR's just got a leg up on you in the irony department. You're just wound up too tightly to recognize it.
However, I'm always interested in hearing hipsters explain the difference between high art and low art... so... by all means, fill me in. What's the difference between Jeff Hukill and Jeff Koons? Let me help you out... one realizes he's ironic, and one doesn't.
Personally, I prefer the working class brut or the idiot savant to the art-schooled hipster.
But that's just me...

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

----> high art
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
----> low art

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

curtis rocks!!

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFLCOPTERS

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno about you guys but I would totally put dream dancers up in my house.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm going to look forward to this "greatness" every week.

man, we're all such jackasses. this dude will never know he's being made fun of. all you haters missed the joke.

"How did you learn to paint?" LMAO.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regardless of any delineation this is still bad work. It is only good in a First Monday trade day cotton wood festival kind of way. Or maybe in a I smoke too much pot and really like Carlos Castaneda kind of way.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regardless of any delineation this is still bad work. It is only good in a First Monday trade day cotton wood festival kind of way. Or maybe in a I smoke too much pot and really like Carlos Castaneda kind of way.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

horrible shit.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, I didn't post the above comment. (Hey WSJR, is there a way to post with an original name that only one user has access to?)
Nevermind, it's more fun this way. Fake Curti, commence!

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

o.k. towelie....................

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's not being made fun of. I exchanged several emails with him and he's a totally committed and passionate artist, which is a lot more than can be said for the crap artists you might see in galleries around town.

Hey Curtis: we are very, very close to having a non-intrusive username validator for the comments.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"greatness" reminds me of the titles i used to give my 4th grade book reports.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait, so you asked this guy "how did you learn to paint" with zero irony? now i don't know which is funnier, what i thought before or what has actually happened.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, flies are totally committed and passionate about garbage and shit. what is your point there, exactly? that because you believe in something with all your heart that it makes it worth your (let alone other's) while? please, elaborate. i know of a lot of dictators and mass murderers who can use that argument too.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kincaid is also totally committed and passionate. commitment and passion can only mean so much when your work looks derivative and tacky (and its bad to be tacky without knowing it). This is teetering on shit you might see in a dentist office or at walmart. But you know what if thats cool than thats cool. LOL

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks there is some humor involved, if you read between the lines. I don't think they actually think this guy is a good artist. use your context clues. they probably just didn't want to rip the dude apart after actually talking to him. the work is still hilarious.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well if thats the case yeh. its hard to read between the lines while doing lines you know.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"derivative and tacky"?
I'm curious to learn what work isn't derivative? The Lascaux caves? Fill me in.
And can you define "tacky" for me. I'm a little grey in the tacky area.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try asking that about some music that you know about. Than translate that to the visual. That might help you figure it out since you have a hard time doing it with the purely visual. Let me know what you find out.

Tag words: Saccharine, Nickleback, Spice World, Miami Dolphins, Western scenic art, New Kids on the Block.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

9:35AM +1

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

330, I wonder what would happen if a human being was forced to experience all those tag words all at once?

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home