Monday, February 23, 2009

not new music tuesdays

Airway - Live at LACE (1978, LAFMS)

With all of the excitement surrounding this evening's portion of the no idea festival at Lola's, I'm taking the opportunity to share one of my personal favorite pieces of improvisational music.

Airway was a project of Joe Potts, a member of the Los Angeles Free Music Society. This version of the these recordings were taken from the LAFMS box set, The Lowest Form of Music (Cortical Foundation, 1996), which are apparently "different in feeling" from the original vinyl release. Both the record and it's limited individual cd release on Harbinger Sound are fucking impossible to find, or retardedly expensive, so I can only provide this one.

I can ramble on about this shit, but I think the liner notes are much more concise than anything I can say, so here goes:

"In the Spring of 1977, Joe Potts released the single, "Airway" as part of an art exhibition at the Lunami Gallery in Tokyo, Japan. The show featured morgue photographs with imbedded subliminal messages. The Airway single and the poster, which served as its sleeve, were designed to be taken home by the viewers to subliminally reinforce the message put out at the exhibition. After the exhibit, Chip Chapman and Joe put together a crude tape delay and processing system out of new and used bits and pieces (most prominently miles of tangled patch cords), in the hopes of recreating live, the "wall of Sound" effect from the single. The setup was revised for every performance, with varying degrees of success. The subliminal message which the music masked changed every time as well. This performance at LACE was Airway's first live performance. The gallery was on the third floor. During the performance the audience streamed out of the room until it was nearly empty. When the music stopped, a cheer came from outside. The volume level was so high that the drywall and hardwood floor vibrated like speaker cones, so apparently the optimum listening point was three floors below and across the street. This is the original uncut version of the recording, rather than the trimmed version released on vinyl as LAFMS #6. Recorded live 8-78. (SEE ESSAY). AIRWAY-Vetza; vocals, Dennis Duck; sax, Rick Potts; mandolin, Juan Gomez; bass guitar, Tom Recchion; drums, Chip Chapman; circuits, Joe Potts; circuits, tapes.

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my god, really fucking good.

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty fuckin' brutal

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Experimental music: sounding the same since 1978.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is M. Ward sell out? I just heard he was doing a show at the DMA and no tickets are available. What's up?

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhh..... I meant to say...Did M. Ward's show sell out?

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh come on, 944, "experimental music" is totally rad!

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the album.

I wish I had more LAFMS stuff. Especially the box set.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found what I think is the cd version of the boxset online recently. If ya'll want it I'll upload it in a few hours.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SR, you just gave me a smile. Now, what do you think of the touch and go records thing? I'd really like to know your opinion.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M. Ward tickets can be found there.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please upload the LAFMS box set. pretty please even. I've passed up buying it a few times due to funds. I will never be able to afford it. I have some of the Solid Eye stuff, but that's it. This stuff is generally really hard to find.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is no such thing as experimental music. it is the easter bunny.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blood

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

experimental music is a never ending journey to understand the ... blahhhhh thanks for turning me on to something new, to me. I don't know it all and never will. Anybody who claims to is horseshit.

I have been digging the stuff on Kahn's Cut label this week.

Just throwing that out there.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

12:38 you jerk-off hairsplitter. Who fucking cares. People make music to emote. Would you like to pull another crystal turd out of your ass and debate that?

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can upload the box if chriso))) doesn't do it. i do not have the 11th disc that came with the even more limited edition fancy version of the box set....

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is taking way longer than I thought, so I'll start uploading the rest in an hour or two unless twin cheeks starts doing it.

Here's discs one and two.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/5qgc4k

Disc one is Chip Chapman and disc two is Le Forte Four and Airway.

I might have that eleventh disc, but not sure. Got mine from the torrents.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it would be nice if i knew a site that i could upload 1gb. otherwise i'm going to have to do it in 3 parts.

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is taking fucking forever! i'll have it, but it may not be until late tonight or early tomorrow.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as much as I enjoy some crazy noisy shit, I did find myself thinking about how it sounded a lot like most of the noise shit that I hear these days. It doesn't seem to really change much- but I guess that isn't the point.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't checked this out yet but ... I don't think it can be said enough that there is a pretty big difference between artists whose objective is a noisy/aggressive one and other sound sculptors whose objective is maybe more textural or ambient or hallucinatory or playful or something else (not specifically harsh or aggressive per se) .... though there can be and often is some overlap.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DAMMMIT

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Idea has moved to the AAC!

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for real. This is no joke though it sure sounds like one. THE HEALTH DEPT IS ANTI AVANT-GARDE MUSIC

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

strange...just read about airway
and wondered where the fuck id find it.
thanks.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u01CDm ljibgiavabak, [url=http://alnbzdjlkkya.com/]alnbzdjlkkya[/url], [link=http://vzqxeedmcyqj.com/]vzqxeedmcyqj[/link], http://ncjhgevvjzqo.com/

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home