It List: Thursday
I have to make this quick, but some thoughts off the top of my head:
1. I can't believe the Stern Brothers and Jello Biafra are both going to be performing in Deep Ellum tonight, just down the street from each other. Watching the Sterns in 1983's Another State Of Mind face the crushing impact that reality has on young idealism is one of my all-time favorite moments in any documentary. Biafra's backing band sounds fairly similar to late period Dead Kennedy's, when they were more riff-oriented and less thrashy.
2. Halloween cover shows are usually horrible but always fun.
3. I'm sure it's not easy being George Harrison's son, so I'm just going to pass on talking about the Wolmother show's lineup, however I should mention that Wolfmother is playing at a Best Buy in the lovely town of Farmer's Branch right now. Which aspect of this sucks the most? Aren't partially owned by major label subsidiaries awesome?
4. Everyone loves R. Kelly.
5. Leon Russell wrote "Superstar" made extremely famous by The Carpenters. "Superstar," man.
6. I wish Dallas Cinemania had more screenings.
Dead Ramones (Subhumans)/Fakeshrine (Crimpshrine)/Ippur (Buzzcocks)/Genius Party (The Queers)/Teenagers From Mars (Misfits) (1919 Hemphill)
R. Kelly/Pleasure P/K Michelle (Nokia)
Strange Attractors/Black Whales/Miss Moonlight (Rubber Gloves)
Top Notch Thursdays with Sober (The Cavern)
Youth Brigade/The Broadsiders/The Lashouts/Uptown Bums (The Lounge)
Sabra Laval/John Taylor Young/Isaac Hoskins (All Good Cafe)
80's Night With DJ G (Hailey's)
Wolfmother/The Heartless Bastards/thenewno2 (House Of Blues)
Jello Biafra & The Guantanamo School Of Medicine/Here Holy Spain (The Door)
Leon Russell/Don And Melissa (Dan's Silver Leaf)
Screening: Dario Argento's Deep Red (The Angelika Dallas) Note: One time showing at 9 PM. Presented By Dallas Cinemania.
Billingham's Defense System/Fakebeat (Fallout Lounge): Here is an informative piece on tonight's guest from the Disco Dust blog.