Friday, March 10, 2006

It List: Friday 3/10/06

Lots to do tonight all around town. To kick things off, you can stop by Good Records to see a free instore with Sound Team and Record Hop (5pm). On to the main event(s):

1. Gorilla vs Bear Showcase- Tapes N' Tapes/Seventeen Evergreen/Birdmonster (the Cavern): This is pretty much perfect timing for Chris from GVB, since he helped break Tapes N' Tapes, booked them to play his showcase, and then watched them get a "Best New Music" review from Pitchfork last week. Tapes are a really great band that will appeal to just about anyone that has ever liked "indie rock." Really, their first album is pretty great. Seventeen Evergreen also be good. Never heard Birdmonster. This show will probably sell out since Tapes N Tapes are a buzz band and the Cavern is small, so get there early. Here is the Pitchfork review.

2. Mates of State/Midlake/Sound Team (Gypsy Ball Room): Not big Mates of State fans (sorry dudes), but Midlake will be playing shit off their new album, which already has more buzz around it than a naked picture of your mom on the internet. Sound Team is pretty good too.

3. 8th Continent: Strange Boys/Eat Avery's Bones/ The Vietniks (Denton- 731 Texas St.): This is a great DIY venue you need to check out if you haven't already. Some of our usual favorites are playing tonight for $5, along with the Vietniks... who have a New York late 70's thing going on. Should be a really fun time.

4. Metrognome: Bob White and the F electrics (1518 E. Lancaster Fort Worth): You know the deal on this one.

15 Comments:

Blogger stonedranger said...

anyone go to any of these shows last night?

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw Eat Avery's Bones at 8th Continent... it was fun!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Eric Grubbs said...

I saw Tapes N Tapes. Review forthcoming on my blog.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at both The Tapes show and Midlake... Best band I saw all night was Sound Team

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Strange Boys/ EAB show was great times.

8th continent is a great place.
EAB has gotten a lot better since i first saw them (how they play that fast and even get close to playing their parts @ the right time is beyond me.... and 2 word songs that rhyme? that's just funny shit)

The Strange Boys were on fire and i think Matt Hammer has my vote for best young drummer on the PLANET. that guy is INSANE! I'm wondering if he's able to get out of bed the day after shows

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, not "2 word SONGS' but Two word song TITLES that rhyme (such as "Sweater Petter")

1:47 PM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

I actually went to Matt Pond PA in the Tea Room. It was a really great show. I had a friend come from TN and he really wanted to go to the show. I was reluctant at first because I wanted to see Tapes, but man am I glad I saw Matt Pond. It also sold out, so I'm glad I actually got in.

And I'm probably going to get a lot of crap for this, but I saw Sound Team open up for Trail of Dead a while back and all I could think was "Who let the Walkmen cover band in?" I also saw them at ACL in passing and could have sworn they were a Killers cover band.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, come on JonofDeath... thats harsh... I do hear the walkmen influence in there big time, but... shit, thats cool. They have some pretty addictive energy on stage and had a big sound.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wakka, I thought the videos were a bit.. contrived.. I guess it just seems like every other band I see nowadays uses a "video presentation". Midlake did sound very good though, especially on the new stuff.

5:06 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

yeah, what was some of the new stuff like?

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

true enough, true enough. The new Midlake stuff was good. Like everyone and their grandmother, I agree that a lot of it sounded eerily fleetwoodmac-ish, which is cool...kind of...

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes.. agreed.. See wakka? We don't always have to "hate" one eachother...

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im retarded.. one another..

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAN! midlake got them on-a them thur SPACE ORGANS? thems is fancy w/ all their keys and buttons and levers and such... if'n only i could get me on'a them space organs.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, its Drew Yeargen

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home