Tuesday, September 05, 2006

It List: Tuesday 9/5/06

The word of the day is "free," because both shows on the list today are free. You know what do right? Whenever anyone says the word "free," scream real loud! Ok, lets try it:


1. Lost Generation Concert Series (The Cavern): Tonight is a special edition of the Lost Generation. Upstairs, Wanz will be Djing for most of the night with the Flashlight Party crew, which means that you should get a pretty nice dose of dance floor electro pop/disco punk along with Wanz' usual brand of hard to find tracks that no one else in north Texas plays in public. Downstairs will be a free (aahhh!) concert featuring Wanz doing some solo stuff (not sure exactly what kind of stuff this will be), along with performances from Silk Stocking, Plexus Loom, Sean Kirkpatrick and Daniel Huffman. We've been curious about Plexus Loom for the past week or two, ever since we briefly discussed their performance at the Amsterdam Bar. The band (it looks like a two person outfit) plays a strange, eerie blend of goth influenced outsider folk, and the Nick Cave influences discussed on their Myspace page are probably fair. Sean Kirkpatrick has to be one of the more interesting songwriters in Dallas right now, and lately I'm digging his stuff far more than the recent Paper Chase material. Quite pretty piano based songs that are dark and disconcerting at times, and probably recorded just the right way to capture the spirit of his material. And I can't find anything on Daniel Huffman other than the fact that he used to be a member of Day of the Double Agent, so maybe someone can share some info in the comments if you have any. And actually, I've never heard Day of the Double Agent either, so I have no idea what to expect. I've heard good things, but that doesn't really help me.

2. The Advantage/Fishboy/ Jonathan Meiburg/ Swedish Teens (Rubber Gloves): Another free (aaahhh!) show tonight, part of the Rubber Gloves Free (aaahhh!) Week. The Advantage plays covers of Nintendo soundtrack songs, which is an idea that I absolutely hated until I heard their music. Listening to The Advantage makes you realize how complex and difficult some of the old Nintendo music is, and how completely prog meets surf rock a lot of it sounds. I am going to go ahead and promise that the Advantage are a great live band, and if I'm wrong, its free (aaahhh!) so fuck it! On a different note, I read today that Fishboy is opening up for Spoon at Emo's later this month. Good for him. Sounds like a big gig.

And I promise to never do a Pee Wee themed list again.

32 Comments:

Blogger Andrea Grimes said...

I've never seen Plexus Poon, but a little birdie told me it was a dude with a flute, kind of like John Corbett in Serendipity. Shudder.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that solo show has been cancelled---
the flashlight party is still on though.

3:54 PM  
Blogger nerver said...

SR - You've got to be kidding about Plexus Loom.

FYI, Daniel Huffman is also known as Frogboy, for those of you that frequent Laptop Deathmatch.

...And word has it the show's been cancelled.

3:57 PM  
Blogger nerver said...

damn the delay here!

3:58 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

i didn't hear a flute...

3:59 PM  
Blogger nerver said...

i have confirmation of a flute at the New Amsterdam performance.

4:03 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

crap. The recorded stuff I've heard sounds pretty good, but flute rockin is NOT easy to pull off in any way.

4:05 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

where did you hear it was cancelled? I haven't heard anything yet.

4:13 PM  
Blogger tania said...

elisha
(i am probably spelling it incorrectly)
plays the flute!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not a big fan of plexus when i saw them at amsterdam, but silk stocking and sean are the shite

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goofiest It List Ever. You can always tell when the Ranger is having a good day.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovie, Romp Almighty, Laura Palmer & Poor Wendy at Club Dada. $4/21+, $5/under 21. 1/2 Price Pints!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovie is horrid.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have sex with all of the Lovie girls all at once. That would be fun.

Also, the show at the Cavern tonight is Western Themed, so cowboy up!

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Advantage plays covers of Nintendo soundtrack songs, which is an idea that I absolutely hated until I heard their music.

wait, what? go with your gut! (cheer)

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard from Wanz that the show is definitely cancelled.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

please keep recommending more things you've never HEARD but heard good things about. wow.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"usual brand of hard to find tracks that no one else in north Texas plays in public"

Sounds like the Ranger doesn't get out much. Let's quit fooling ourselves, Ipods and free filesharing have given everyone better music collections.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: flute rockin

see Jethro Tull, Swirlies, Furry Things, Herbie Mann, Roland Kirk. jus' sayin.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, not swirlies, I meant mercury rev. dur.

7:04 PM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

Anon 352: I realize that. I just don't know any other DJ in the area that has a playlist similar to those I've heard at Lost Generation. Do you? If so, I would love to hear about it, and I'm not being sarcastic.

Anon 344: I didn't recommend it. Thats why I simply said I had heard good things, and then said that such information wasn't really that useful. I only included that bit because I was recommending the other performers, who I HAVE heard and seen live. Did you actually read the post?

7:39 PM  
Blogger complete tool said...

roland kirk has rocked anything that you can blow into.

8:04 PM  
Blogger complete tool said...

or everything rather.

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LAME!!!!
The Sean Kirkpatrick show tonight was going to be amazing.
I was so excited.
This sucks.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

advantage


destroyed


everything

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel Huffman was in Comet back when they ruled the land, and is the core of Ghostcar along w/ trumpet player Karl ... and he's also been doing the Deathmatch/laptop stuff for awhile. Day of a Double Agent was a weird local indie rock supergroup w/ Regina from Chao (who Daniel actually plays with now as well) and the bassist with the big head who used to play in Bedhead.

Uh, just so you know.

Also when the hell did Furry Things get a flute player? They were probably just copying Mercury Rev. And why have I heard like 3 or 4 people bring them up randomly in the past month?

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mc: I doubt they had a flute player proper, but I swear I remember a spastic flute solo on a track on Furry Things' Big Saturday Illusion.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know Daniel Huffman was in Comet. Wasn't he also the tour guitarist for the Flaming Lips a while back? I think someone told me he actually got the chance to wear a bunny suit and everything on stage. Is this true?

I'm all about bunny suits on stage or off... you know, wearing one while going for the groceries or mailing letters and such.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Daniel goes way back with the Lips and was a furry-suited member of their touring entourage. I don't think he played an instrument in the show, but I could be wrong.

There is a generally high quality standard with all the projects he's been involved with. The laptop stuff he does as Frogboy is quite different than most of other Deathmatch stuff. Much more in the ambient/psychedelic realm.

11:11 AM  
Blogger stonedranger said...

I actually saw "frogboy" at one of the Laptop Deathmatch performances and thought it was really good... one of the better performances I saw all night. Its good to know a bit more about him.

11:14 AM  
Blogger blixaboy said...

Daniel is one of my favorite people. I have rarely met a kinder soul.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed seeing him play with Ghostcar.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home