Thursday, February 21, 2008

It List: Thursday



















Drink to Victory /Little Tedly /Deep Snapper/ Koji Kondo (Rubber Gloves): Several approaches to punk rock represented, from the thoughtful to the I don't give a shit if blood is spraying out of my face approach. Seriously, Koji Kondo put on one of the greatest shows many of us had ever seen a couple of weeks ago, and I would say that even if the lead singer hadn't dramatically completed his set after somewhat seriously injuring himself. And to think that the biggest concern some musicians have is not getting enough drink tickets at Hailey's or some shit. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw that blood spilling all over the floor. Laughable.

Slow Burners/Charlie Parr/Jenn Gooch (Dan's Silver Leaf)

Eaton Lake Tonics (Strawberry Fields)

The Great Tyrant/Record Hop/Red Monroe/ (Lola's): Saw a writeup this week that suggested this was a badly booked show. I think it makes perfect sense, especially from an economic standpoint. The Great Tyrant, Record Hop, and Red Monroe are more or less the flagship bands of their respective cities and each are well regarded as solid live acts. Seeing them all on the same night in Fort Worth is not only cool, but convenient. I can't wait to get my hands on The Great Tyrant's new 7-inch.

New Science Projects/Shibboleth/Analog Heartbreak (Club Dada): Someone once thought I was hating on Shibboleth and upon hearing their music again recently, I think they're a fine band with some similarities to great instrumental acts such as Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet and Booker T And The MG's. No problems there. However, I do take issue with the glut of bands and Wes Anderson inspired imagery. Please, bands I beg you: Please stop wearing "funny" athletic headbands. You're killing me.

Bob Dylan (House Of Blues): Saw Dylan about eight years ago, and if you can just get past the fact that he almost always has a really cheesy, young, hot-shot, lead guitarist, barely has any voice left, and passionately hates his audience, nothing can really ruin hearing "Spanish Boots Of Spanish Leather" performed live. I'm not kidding. It still ruled.

Lost Generation (Fallout Lounge): Wanz will have some passes to the Melodica Festival tonight, so stop by.

80's Night With DJ G (Hailey's)

Sesame Street Live: When Elmo Grows Up (Nokia): Hate to break it to you Elmo, but it sucks.





Photo by Layla Blackshear.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also at dada tonight:
Dave Palmer and Fred Hamilton, of the Earl Harvin Trio, at 9.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NSPNSP

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some people are just sweaty.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that laura palmers cousin?

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

felix da housecat at ghostbar tonight too.
should be funk-tastic.

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how can you cold hearted bastards hate on elmo?

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I can't wait to get my hands on The Great Tyrant's new 7-inch"

^so many possible jokes. i'll refrain.

anyway, i'm going to dylan tonight.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need a clone with which I can instantly share my senses so that I may attend the festivities at both Rubber Gloves and Lola's tonight.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baby Dee in Fort Murder on Friday

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, DL. What's with this post, my man?

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blood is the new central booking

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

koji's kondo kancelled

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry if anyone actually came out, jobs & shit.

also, if anyone got any sweet "tyler bleeding everywhere" shots from strawberry fields -> theroadtoeatcake at gmail dot com

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what exactly happened at this show? What was the injury?

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i came out and i'm totally pissed off

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like, ttly

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home